Just started smoking a chuck roast: Need Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lawrencem

Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Souther California
Total newbie here. This will be my first real post. I just put a 3lb chuck roast in my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn combo grill. I'm using mesquite hardwood limp charcoal and mesquite wood chips for the smoke.

Here's the rub recipe I used (give or take):
3 tbs. cracked black pepper
2 tbs. salt
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1.5 tsp. sugar
1 tbs. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp. crushed red pepper
brown sugar

Here's my plan. I'll take the IT up to 165 with a grill temp of 225-250, then transfer to an aluminum pan and cover with foil. Then keep it on the grill until IT reaches 200, remove and keep covered for another hour.

I would like to slice with my electric slicer and not pull apart.

Any suggestion or changes?

I'll post pictures as they come.

(chuck just put on the grill)

I just did one yesterday on my MES and it turned out fantastic! The only things I did different were, when transferring to the foil pan I had 2 cans of preheated broth in the pan and then covered it tightly with tin foil. Back in the smoker and pulled it at 195. Lifted a corner of the foil and let it set 30 minutes (was going to do it for 2 hours, but got impatient).

Not sure you want to go 200 if you want to slice it maybe 190-195 but I'm not sure chuckies are made for pulling IMHO.

Thanks for the tips. So I guess I'll pull it at 190 IT. It's currently at 141 but I'm having a hard time keeping the grill temp below 250. Right now it's at 330!
I just opened the smoker box lid to bring it down. Is the high temp for a short period gonna ruin it?

A higher temp will be OK. My smoker runs 250-275* all the time and no problems. I also prefer a sliced chuckie.
Like Joe said, you can smoke at a higher heat, without problems.

And like b-one said, you might want to pull at about 190° if you want to slice it.

Taking it to 200°, and then a rest could make it fall apart while trying to slice it.

Bear

Thanks for the tips. So I guess I'll pull it at 190 IT. It's currently at 141 but I'm having a hard time keeping the grill temp below 250. Right now it's at 330!
I just opened the smoker box lid to bring it down. Is the high temp for a short period gonna ruin it?
My offset runs a bit high, too (260 - -280) and I have an old spatula that I keep at the smoker just to prop the door open about 1/4" when I want to bleed some heat. Those spikes won't hurt a thing.
I love chuckles! How'd it turn out?
Dan

I only rested mine for 30 minutes, in beef broth, and it came out fine but not quite as tender as I thought it would be. If I had let it rest for an hour or more would it have been more tender?

It stalled at about 149 for about 40 minutes then went up to 160 and I stuck it in a pan and covered in foil and then took it up to 190. Took it out to rest for a obols hours.

When I unwrapped it it smelled awesome and was surrounded by juices!
I haven't sliced it yet, it's been in the fridge. Going to slice tomorrow morning.

Here's a pic of when I unwrapped it.

Looks Real nice, Lawrence!!! 
drool.gif

Bear

It stalled at about 149 for about 40 minutes then went up to 160 and I stuck it in a pan and covered in foil and then took it up to 190. Took it out to rest for a obols hours.

When I unwrapped it it smelled awesome and was surrounded by juices!
I haven't sliced it yet, it's been in the fridge. Going to slice tomorrow morning.

Here's a pic of when I unwrapped it.
You're a strong man. I would have cut a piece off to taste :biggrin: a

Im cooking two chucks today.

Using Hickory / Maple / Cherry blend for the smoke.

I make my own rub, and put that on there for two days.....more cant be worse can it?!

Going to do it like I do a Brisket, 150 / Wrap in foil with butter / beer (This avoids the stall)

Then pull at 195-203 - the magic temp for brisket.

The butter doesn't avoid the stall --------the stall happens because the meat "sweats" - thus cooling it and the meat stops heating up - it stalls getting hotter.

Then - to avoid the stall - wrap in foil TIGHT - this keeps juices inside the meat and doesn't allow for the heat transfer of the sweating meat. The butter adds some taste

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky