Just Built A Mini WSM and I Have Never Smoked Before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think it was because my ash catch was not vented well enough so the fire was not breathing. I vented the ash catch better.

You don't need to drill any extra holes. (Sorry cfarmer to disagree) You just need to let the bottom vent breathe properly and not get built up with ash. What exactly are you calling and using for an "ash catcher". Are you familiar with the upside down tuna can method for protecting the bottom vent from plugging? In my opinion the 1 bottom vent of the silver is way easier than having three like the gold.

Something else... What type of charcoal are you using in your mini? noboundaries has a very informative thread on charcoal and the comparison of the volume of ash produced by the main brands. It is quite convincing what you want to use. It made a HUGE difference for me.

I don't disagree, I was just saying that would solve the ash issue.

You don't need to drill any extra holes. (Sorry cfarmer to disagree) You just need to let the bottom vent breathe properly and not get built up with ash. What exactly are you calling and using for an "ash catcher". Are you familiar with the upside down tuna can method for protecting the bottom vent from plugging? In my opinion the 1 bottom vent of the silver is way easier than having three like the gold.

Something else... What type of charcoal are you using in your mini? noboundaries has a very informative thread on charcoal and the comparison of the volume of ash produced by the main brands. It is quite convincing what you want to use. It made a HUGE difference for me.

I am using an upside-down tuna can. It got clogged up on my Sunday smoke with it. It is probably because I used the leftover charcoal from my Saturday smoke.

Excellent! I cut 5 or 6 vertical slots in my tuna can with a grinder disk about 3/8" inch wide and go the full length of the can (just short of the crimps). Works well for me. I also use a charcoal basket instead of putting the charcoal right on the grate. This helps a lot with airflow and ash and bits of charcoal dropping down into the bowl area and burying the tuna can vents as well. Its easy to re-use coals by just shaking it out, and a lot less messy too.

This issue is one of the reasons I decided to add a Party-Q to my mini for LONGER cooks. I close the bottom vent completely anyway and let the Party-Q do all the vent control for me. I don't have to worry about ash build-up at all when using that, and I leave the tuna can out completely for more room for ash in the bowl.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky