Just Built A Mini WSM and I Have Never Smoked Before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TarantulaSam

Original poster
Jul 11, 2018
Utah
First post. Let me know if I posted this in the wrong place. My neighbor smoked some ribs for me on his Weber Kettle. I caught the bug and build a Mini WSM to get me started. I just seasoned it today, or think I seasoned it. I lightly sprayed the inside surface with Pam and then ran it for an hour or two.

As someone who has never smoked anything before is there something you all would recommend? I was hoping to do some ribs this weekend. I am bit worried about temp control. Do I have this right?: (Top vent open equals lower temp. Top vent closed equals higher temp. Bottom vent open equals higher temp. Bottom vent closed equals lower temp.) Is there a rub recipe for a beginner you would point me to? Sorry for all the questions. I am excited to get started!
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG

I can't tell you how much I recommend you do a nekkid chicken!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/156212/nekkid-chicken-foamheart

Its the most basic, least expensive way to learn. I will highly suggest you get a remote temperature monitor before you start. They run about 50.00 at Kmart, Walmart, Amazon, Bass Pro, Sears....etc. This will guaranty you two things, you will never get anyone sick while learning and everything you mess up is still going to be delicious and juicy!

This is what I still use, I have three or four, and I highly recommend them. You can buy better but wait till you understand why they are better to drool over the more expensive ones. I tried to link it but its seems that option is no longer available <shrugs> I guess they are worried about get paid to advertise. So just google it they are everywhere.

Maverick Redi-Chek ET-72 Deluxe Single Probe Remote Thermometer

As to your vents there will be others more fluient in MINI operation but basically. You have two vents one should always be open and the other is your regulator. it doesn't matter which IMHO. I generally regulate the one that is easiest to get to.

I like what you did to that smoker. There is a whole group of folks here that have built 'em.

I hope you enjoy your smoking career and you are doing just in time for football season!!!!

Welcome to the site, I don't use a mini, but I do use a WSM. I would think they run similar, and I leave my top vent open and adjust for temps using the bottom vents. If you have a really clean burning smoke going on then the upper vent can be used also. Foamheart makes a good point - start off with a chicken and see how your mini runs before getting into ribs and such.

Chris

Reactions: weedeater
At the very least I highly recommend a digital instant read thermometer.
The Lavatools Javelin is highly reliable and inexpensive, they average $25.
Internal temp and tenderness are both key in most great BBQ, and this does both at the same time.
A decent dual probe is nice, but I wouldn't go cheap, at least midrange in price from a respected manufacturer.
I really like my Smoke from ThermoWorks it is $100. unit.
Smoker temp, holding a steady temp range such as 225'-250', is more important than holding one particular temp. Don't worry if it swings a bit, 25' +/-, don't drive yourself crazy chasing a temp.
Even when using my dual probe Smoke I'm checking with the handheld Javelin in different spots for internal temp and tenderness.

Fully agree with Foamy and Chris, start simple and get a handle on how it runs.

As mentioned, digital probe thermometers are a must have. As far as seasoning, I would also burn some mild wood (i.e. oak) for an hour or so before your first cook. Start with something inexpensive like others have mentioned so if it is completely inedible you won't feel the pain in your wallet as much.

I might also recommend just firing the smoker up with a pan of water or empty and play with adjusting temps for a couple hours so you get the feel for the smoker. It will teach you lots about your new toy and you can drink beer while you do it and tell you significant other not to bother you because you have to tend the fire.

You got some awesome advice from some heavy hitters, they got you covered. My only comment is nice freakin cooker. You did a great job

Welcome TS! The MINI is AWESOME! You sure did a great job with yours. I use my mini a LOT! It is so easy and efficient too. I always leave my top vent wide open and throttle temps with the bottom vent only. When I am done cooking, I just close both vents to snuff the coals out for re-use the next time. That reminds me... having a charcoal basket makes shaking out the briquettes to reuse very simple and less messy. You will soon find out that temp control is nearly effortless with the mini- probably one of the easiest there is actually. But I will back what the others are saying is get a digital remote therm dual-probe. Now that I have said all of that... if you really want to be more set-and-forget, check out a controller like a BBQ Guru. I have the Party Q and LOVE IT! Not that it is needed, but sometimes I get distracted or appreciate it for longer smokes especially overnight.

Hind quarters are cheap, and those would be great for your first cook after initial season. Cook em high temp on the top grate. I also like to NOT use the diffuser on chicken for more direct heat/sear for crispy skin. Don't need to flip either.

Ribs need to be cut down to fit in the mini. They cook well in a rib rack but are a PITA for the foiling stage. The only time I have ever used water in a pan in my mini was with ribs when I didn't foil. I still don't think it ever needs water.

Rub recipe- I would recommend buying Jeff's recipes from this site. They really are good and hey... its supports this site! But I will also make a case that just simple seasonings is often better than a rub- SPOG= Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic. I also add rosemary and Thyme. This is my go-to for most stuff.

Ribs need to be cut down to fit in the mini. They cook well in a rib rack but are a PITA for the foiling stage. The only time I have ever used water in a pan in my mini was with ribs when I didn't foil. I still don't think it ever needs water.

You can always circle those ribs up! They cook the same and you can fill the center just like with a "Crown Rib Roast", or they cut apart just like regular ribs when time to eat.

002.JPG

Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat Kevin! In fact at first glance... Oh wait... nevermind. ;)
Seriously, a great idea! still... foiling for the braise period isn't as easy laying them flat like you would typically do.
I added a cup-hook to the inside of the lid of my mini. I have used bacon hangers for my ribs that hang from that also.

Thank you everyone! As you have recommended, I think I will start with a chicken. I'll look into temperature monitors later today. Thank you again!

I did a Nekkid chicken last night per recommendation and It turned out great. It was a bit of a struggle to control the temp. I am not sure how accurate the thermometer on the side is. When I would stick a digital through the vent, it would read hotter. This may be due to the location of where the temp is being read. It took about 3.5 hours for the chicken to reach an internal temp of 165.

I did a Nekkid chicken last night per recommendation and It turned out great. It was a bit of a struggle to control the temp. I am not sure how accurate the thermometer on the side is. When I would stick a digital through the vent, it would read hotter. This may be due to the location of where the temp is being read. It took about 3.5 hours for the chicken to reach an internal temp of 165.

Now you know how easy it is, don't tell, let 'em all think you are just a smoking prodigy! Now you can try the chicken at a higher temp and see how ya like that. Or maybe a different type wood smoke?

Heat rises its always hotter on top.

You keep putting out good groceries like that, everyone will be happy when you decide to cook.

Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage. BTW from now own we'll be expecting photos of your accomplishments!!

Reactions: TarantulaSam
Great job! Your confidence will only grow from here. The mechanical therm on the side is only for looks. Don't rely on it. It is pretty much useless. I concurr that sticking a probe just inside the top vent is going to read high also. Getting a therm at grate level is optimum.

It is easy at first to "over adjust" vents. Only tiny vent adjustments are needed and it will find a sweet spot for hours. Other things like lifting the lid or if it is windy will cause havoc, but just try to be patient. Another thing I have learned is to warm up the cooker and get it going to desired temp before putting on the meat. This gives it time to settle in temp wise and helps clear of white smoke. The initial temp swing after that is only marginal if much adjustment is needed at all. You will find it is easier to "sneak up" on your temps than it is to damper down a cooker that is too hot.

Definitely looking forward to some pics!

Now you know how easy it is, don't tell, let 'em all think you are just a smoking prodigy! Now you can try the chicken at a higher temp and see how ya like that. Or maybe a different type wood smoke?

Heat rises its always hotter on top.

You keep putting out good groceries like that, everyone will be happy when you decide to cook.

Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage. BTW from now own we'll be expecting photos of your accomplishments!!

Here is the done bird from last night. I smoked it with applewood. I'm enjoying some leftovers right now.
IMG_2609.JPG

Bird looks good. No diffiser in it? I built a mini and love it. 12 hours plus without adjusting vents once it's set.

Bird looks good. No diffiser in it? I built a mini and love it. 12 hours plus without adjusting vents once it's set.

I took the diffuser out because I was struggling to get a good temp. I think it was because my ash catch was not vented well enough so the fire was not breathing. I vented the ash catch better. I am just now using a pie tin as a diffuser with the modded ash catch and it is holding a temps around 240.

So you used a silver smokey Joe ? I used a gold with the lower vents on the side.

So you used a silver smokey Joe ? I used a gold with the lower vents on the side.
I did use the silver. The one place in town that had a gold was asking 49 bucks for it. I got the silver for 26. think they refer to them as the Smokey Joe and the Smokey Joe Premium now. I think it will work just fine once I figure out how to control the vent. Its actually going pretty smoothly today after adding a lot more holes to my ask catch.

I did use the silver. The one place in town that had a gold was asking 49 bucks for it. I got the silver for 26. think they refer to them as the Smokey Joe and the Smokey Joe Premium now. I think it will work just fine once I figure out how to control the vent. Its actually going pretty smoothly today after adding a lot more holes to my ask catch.

Sounds good. You could make that silver into a gold by drilling into the side of the bottom and adding ball valves. 2 of them. One on each side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky