Just bought a GMG Daniel Boone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sgtgeo

Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
2 weeks deciding.

Hope it was the right decision. Just the basic no WIFI.

Any tips tricks etc for the initial set up would be appreciated.

I’ll likely assemble tomorrow and do the burn in before the weekend.

Ordered some “Cooking Pellets” 100% hickory pellets.

What about this downdraft? Worth it?

Thanks!!!

2 weeks deciding.

Hope it was the right decision. Just the basic no WIFI.

Any tips tricks etc for the initial set up would be appreciated.

I’ll likely assemble tomorrow and do the burn in before the weekend.

Ordered some “Cooking Pellets” 100% hickory pellets.

What about this downdraft? Worth it?

Thanks!!!

I might not be much help since I didn’t own that particular model but I did own a GMG (the big pig rig). All I can say is that customer service is great if you need it and that my cooker worked great. My only complaint is the GMG line doesn’t give as much smoke flavor as some of the other brands but my juiciest Turkey, juiciest chicken, juciest brisket, and prettiest ribs were produced on that thing. It worked phenomenally. My recommendation is to pick up some grill grates for it for searing. I’m fixing to pull the trigger on a mak 1 star soon myself

While I don't have a GMG, from the specs it looks like it will be a great grill and I'm sure you will be happy with your purchase. The only thing that I wouldn't like is the exhaust exiting at the top of the cooking chamber instead of at grill level. This configuration produces larger variances in temperature from one end of the grill to the other and reduces the amount of smoke surrounding the meat (and thus the smoke flavor). By the downdraft, I assume you're talking about Don Godke's Downdraft product? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of these either. The price is reasonable, and it moves the exhaust to grill level which is what you would want.

Let us know how it goes and looking forward to pictures of your first cook this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky