Current best app controllable smoker? Up from 6 year old GMG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

274s

Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
So my new lab puppy was left alone outside for just a bit too long and decided the wires underneath my GMG's control panel looked tasty . She managed to fully pull just about every wire out. I've reached out to GMG to see about new wiring harness and wiring diagram but am not too optimistic since it was an 2017 built original Daniel Boone, not the Prime version or newer. Also figure this is great excuse to upgrade to latest and greatest since I'm hoping they've made things better in past 6 years.

What are the current ones to look at? Seems GMG is not a clear cut winner. Looking for at least 450sq in cooking area, would like to have 2 levels (GMG only had 1) and to stay under $1k price. 6 years ago I had tried a Traeger but it was all over the place on temperature. Are they better now? I have access to good pricing on Camp Chef and Grilla Grills, are they worth pursuing?

Which ones have programmable apps so that I can set a cook to have multiple stages like Temp X for 2 hours then temp Y for 8 hours?

Last edited:
The Camp Chef app works well, but you can't start the grill remotely, if that's an issue. You can shut it down, monitor, make adjustments to temp/smoke settings and all that, no matter where you happen to be so long as the grill has a wifi connection.

Fireboard has steps. Available in Yoder and LSG pellet grills.
You can contact them and see it they can tell what smokers their controller can be adapted to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky