Ray’s Gabagool

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Sven, making your own sausage and charcuterie you are all set to make the best pizza on the planet! There's a million different dough recipes out there, I finally settled on a real simple one, I'll post it here, I took the advise of @chopsaw Rich and started letting the dough ferment covered in the fridge for 4-5 days, up to a week. After making my own dough for 30 years and never quite being really happy that one little trick made a world of difference, first bite my wife said "best pizza you ever made". Whatever dough recipe you decide to go with try Rich's fermenting technique, it works and makes a real difference in the finished product. RAY

Guy lives right down the street from us (kind of). My daughter used to work for him. Have you tried this in a backyard pizza oven? I have a Gozney and I wonder how this dough would hold up in an oven like that.

Reactions: sawhorseray
You will like the wraps over the Umai bags. Nice work Sven.
I hope I do. It's not long before the bag loses its vacuum and I'm curious to see how the wraps fare during long drying times. They arrive today so I'll have to pick up some shoulders soon and get this long process started again.

Guy lives right down the street from us (kind of). My daughter used to work for him. Have you tried this in a backyard pizza oven? I have a Gozney and I wonder how this dough would hold up in an oven like that.
I have the pizza attachment that came with spinnner setup for my Weber Sven. My pies weigh about five pounds when they go into the oven, 425º for 20 minutes, need a knife and fork to eat them. I haven't tried a pizza in the Weber yet, and doubt I will, heard of a few mishaps and don't want to chance wasting the time and energy. My wife wanted to get me a Ooni last Xmas and I nixxed that I idea, I've got something that works for me, no sense trying to fix it. I never heard of the dry steak wraps before, tho I've never had anything but good results from the bags, I'll just keep using those I reckon. RAY

Wow! That looks amazing! I don’t think I’d stop snacking on that till it was gone🤣 Amazing work and patience! So awesome to have the A team of curing meats for support! Congrats!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Wow! That looks amazing! I don’t think I’d stop snacking on that till it was gone🤣 Amazing work and patience! So awesome to have the A team of curing meats for support! Congrats!
It’s a good thing I can’t cut it this thin with a knife. It’s the only thing keep me from devouring it. Any thicker and it’s too tough to chew. I’m too young and I’d be too embarrassed to die choking on gabagool.

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
It’s a good thing I can’t cut it this thin with a knife. It’s the only thing keep me from devouring it. Any thicker and it’s too tough to chew. I’m too young and I’d be too embarrassed to die choking on gabagool.
Fun fact...the reason why the Italians prefer to slice on a hand crank Volano meat slicer is because it was designed to get the maximum cut with the slowest rotation of the slicing wheel. It turns 20-25 times slower than an electric meat slicer. The reason for this is the friction of the meat on the fast turning slicer blade creates heat and that heat degrades the flavors on the salumi.

For best results- slice salumi cold, then allow it to reach room temp. before savoring.

Fun fact...the reason why the Italians prefer to slice on a hand crank Volano meat slicer is because it was designed to get the maximum cut with the slowest rotation of the slicing wheel. It turns 20-25 times slower than an electric meat slicer. The reason for this is the friction of the meat on the fast turning slicer blade creates heat and that heat degrades the flavors on the salumi.

For best results- slice salumi cold, then allow it to reach room temp. before savoring.
I didn’t know that but it makes sense. I have an Italian electric slicer and it does run much slower than the cheaper one I replaced it with so now the slower speed makes sense. But I’m sure it’s still way faster than the hand cranked ones. I’ve seen those and they are impressive works of art.

I love this! I've been working on my UMAi Dry bags as well - though on Pancetta not Capicola..

3months on this one.. with another at nearly 6 mos. which I will open shortly...

Attachments

• IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky