Just about the best quote about doing ribs ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well......Some how I don't think we have heard the last of this discussion. I'm with you Rich......THROWDOWN time. I know...I know...who asked me right. LOL

Oh..I'll have mine low and slow thank you.
cool.gif

d88de, Thx for the review of smokestack lightning. I thought that would be a good one.

I like Mike Mills' book, too. Very good read. We already made the Brunswick Stew (wife in from VA where that is big) and it is GREAT with the smoked chicken and pork in it.

But I must say having grown about 80-90 min from where he is, 17th St was not around when I grew up there and I only though real Que came from the Paducah, KY area (about an hour south of where Mike Mills is) as we could never get it in Southern IL. Oh, well.... things change. I am happy to see someone from Southern IL get some publicity.

one day glen........seein how i am iowa, i plan on going to his place, and try to meet him..........one day......*sigh* one day

I would like to as well but I don't go to Southern IL anymore. (parents retired to Tulsa area where my bro is) My Dad has been there many times but never met him. (they have a location in Marion, IL right off I-57 south now, too)

FWIW -- my Dad liked their Que but says it is a little bit 'saucy'. (I would likely agree) Like Mike's book says, your first Que experience is always thought of as your 'best' no matter what you learn later on. (Leigh's in Kevil, KY or Starnes in Paducah, KY for me)

Thanks to the folks I have met here, I am learning more and more.

I'll have to try them again the next time I go back to Memphis, because I've heard a lot of great things about them. I ate there once a couple of years after they opened (probably around '80 or so). I had been eating at Payne's since probably '73 or so, and I grew up on Loeb's BBQ (owned by the brother of the mayor), which was actually very good - there used to be a lot of them in the early 60s and the one that was right down the street from me is now called 3 Little Pigs - I've heard that it's still good. In fact, I remember eating at Interstate BBQ when it was still a grocery store, before they expanded. Apparently it made more of an impression on me that Cozy Corner at the time, because I remember it being really good but can't remember much about Cozy Corner. But I'm really interested to go back the next time I'm in town. I just don't make it back very often any more.

Just so you know, I'm not a big Rendezvous fan. In fact, I'm not as much on dry ribs as I am wet ones. Once again, nothing wrong with them - just have my preferences.

We've got decent BBQ here in Nashville but it's just not the same for some reason (maybe some of it is bias). A few new places have opened up that I need to try (I can't believe Neely's has been here for 6 years and I haven't given them a try - I might just correct that today). I just got used to being able to get great BBQ just by turning a corner in Memphis - there were so many good little places when I was growing up that you couldn't turn around without bumping into one. The one little place like that with multiple locations here is Whitt's and their pork just doesn't have a deep, rich flavor. In Memphis, there was never a need to figure out how to do BBQ at home because there were so many good choices. About the only thing you did was grill out with steaks and burgers and hot dogs. And when you did, there was always a big aluminum foil container of pulled pork and a few styrofoam glasses full of beans, slaw and sauce just ripe for the taking. Picked up from the store, of course <chuckle>

I somewhat agree with this in some aspects.

Cooking a brisket, probably not the best idea, it will be tough. But a fatty pork cut or whole hog? Nah, turn the heat to it.

We always cooked whole hog closer to the 300* range, and it was always pullable. Heck 350* for a short time was not a big deal.

Heck, in NC, most bbq joints don't cook indirect, and rub's are almost unheard of. Just dump hot coals under the carcass (skin side up). Cook. Turn once when finished to crisp skin (normally when it hit 350*). Eat.

At 225*, a whole hog just took to darn long. But, we also always picked out the fattest pig we could find in the farm, not the leanest like you typically see in stores. I don't really see where a cut like a butt really benefits that much from temps below 250* either. I've tried them both ways, and personally feel that a butt cooked on the higher temps side comes out just as good, and several hours faster.

I have yet to try ribs closer to 300* yet, but I may soon.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky