"Jerky" cannon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybottomboy

Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Bel Air, MD
Apologies in advance if this has been addressed (though I can't find it) or been dismissed already as a dumb idea but...... how practical or feasible would it be to use a Weston jerky cannon to stuff, for example, hot dogs, or even 19mm collagen casings for snack sticks. Present financial difficulties don't allow the purchase of a sausage stuffer and I'd rather not use the kitchen aid attachment I have if this would work.  Thank you in advance for your expertise.

tim

Apologies in advance if this has been addressed (though I can't find it) or been dismissed already as a dumb idea but...... how practical or feasible would it be to use a Weston jerky cannon to stuff, for example, hot dogs, or even 19mm collagen casings for snack sticks. Present financial difficulties don't allow the purchase of a sausage stuffer and I'd rather not use the kitchen aid attachment I have if this would work.  Thank you in advance for your expertise.

tim
It works for stuffing, just a little more difficult than a stuffer. Fill the tube and try to keep the air pockets to a minimum. You can stuff larger casings with it also.

I have a jerky cannon and only used it for snack sticks with the 19mm tube. it works great but it is a little difficult using the 19mm tube vs the one that came with it. I can fill it with 1 lb-1.5 lb and finish the sticks in under 5 minutes.

Woodcutter - thanks for the info.  I can't imagine it would be more difficult than trying to convince my bride that I NEED the suffer. so we'll give it a whirl.

tim

Woodcutter - thanks for the info.  I can't imagine it would be more difficult than trying to convince my bride that I NEED the suffer. so we'll give it a whirl.

tim
Ask her to hold sheep casings while you squeeze and explain how you could do it yourself with a stuffer. Better wait until after valentines day!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky