Jerk pork! First go round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake0531

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Mulvane, KS
DB15BBE0-48D6-4492-885E-103CD6F27573.jpeg
Going to make Malcom reeds Jerk pork recipe.
Almost 9lb butt, cut up into 3rds (wanted to cut length ways but I ended up getting the butt from Walmart and they said they couldn’t cut it, so I had to cut it up width since I couldn’t cut through bone)
Seasoned with the jerk rub in the recipe, wrapped and into the fridge overnight.

Here’s to good results!

07A7C0C5-6355-40D5-8A83-FD06DB5F6FD0.jpeg
And we’re off!
275 pit temp with lumberjack timberline pellets, (maple, oak, hickory blend) I used these on some chicken last weekend and they had great, light flavor.
I’ll be flipping the chunks every hour for even color. After I get the color I want, I’ll throw them in foil til the right tenderness, which I’m aiming for just below pulled pork (190 degree area) after they hit that I’ll pull the foil off, coat them in a jerk sauce and throw back on til the sauce sets.

If you’re familiar with Buffalo Wild Wings Caribbean jerk wing sauce, this is exactly what the rub smells like.

If you get a chance try out either Grace or Walkers Woods wet rub. Outrageous flavor and as close to authentic as you can get sans the pimento wood

Reactions: jake0531
If you get a chance try out either Grace or Walkers Woods wet rub. Outrageous flavor and as close to authentic as you can get sans the pimento wood
I have been reading up on the walkers wood. Seems to be a crowd favorite

BBE5BFCE-0A98-406D-9AAB-C796E3AB227D.jpeg
First hour flip. This picture was before I flipped, but the backsides have great coloring so far

DA867EE9-57C8-46F2-89F8-3965DC18C068.png
For anybody thinking about getting a Green Mountain Grill, I love mine. I have a Daniel Boone, non WiFi. I don’t get too involved with the grilling side of it, I use it for mostly smoking. I’ll do chicken at 375-400 but that’s mostly as high as I’ll go temp wise. I get great smoke flavor (personal preference), easy to control. The only thing I have done to alter it is put a piece of thread rod on the heat shield and run it out the side so I can adjust my side to side temps. I consistently get temps close to what my pit is set to once it’s settled in (I always let it settle for about a half hour). I have the pit set to 275 right now. These are my side by side temps. #1 is right next to the grill temp sensor, #2 is on the opposite side of the cook chamber.

Overall a great recipe. The heat level wasn’t over the top but a nice sweet/spice tang mix on the sauce. Next time I’ll simmer my sauce mixture a little longer to reduce it down more. It was more of a runny mixture than what I would’ve liked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky