Jerk Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee bill

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Made some Jerk Chicken Thighs on the Akorn Kamado. Accented w/ a smoke foil pack of Cherry chips, Allspice Berries & Bay Leaves. Cooked indirect @ 300* to 165* IT. Then ramped up fire & charred direct for couple minutes per side. Very Moist, tender & tasty.

Attachments

• KLEA3230.JPG
    KLEA3230.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: xray
Yessir! Love jerk chicken. Love your use of the allspice berries to help emulate the pimento wood. I’d tear a few of those up!!

Reactions: yankee bill
Thanks. I agree! I never knew how good it was until I first had it a few years ago.

Mmm jerk.
What coal did you use for the heat?
Try oak chips in the foil pack. Don't know how oak got in the mix as it isn't native to Caribbean, rumor has they burned the oak staves from rum casks.

Mmm jerk.
What coal did you use for the heat?
Try oak chips in the foil pack. Don't know how oak got in the mix as it isn't native to Caribbean, rumor has they burned the oak staves from rum casks.
I used RO Hardwood Lump for coals. I haven't heard much about the oak when I was researching substitute woods for pimento, but the rumor of the oak staves appears that it could have some merit. I did however hear mention of some folks also using a 50/50 mix of cherry & hickory. Not sure if the hickory would be too overpowering though.

Last edited:
Awesome looking chicken! Jerk chicken is a favorite.

That’s a pretty cool idea with the bay leaves and allspice. Were the bay leaves the dried ones from the store or do you have a plant?

Like!

Awesome looking chicken! Jerk chicken is a favorite.

That’s a pretty cool idea with the bay leaves and allspice. Were the bay leaves the dried ones from the store or do you have a plant?

Like!
Thanks xray. Yes, they were the regular dry bay leaves from the store. I just soaked them along w/ the wood chips & Allspice berries prior to using them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky