Jambalaya (Zatarain’s One-Pot)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great Bear! I may have to grab a box and try it out. Is it spicy? Just curious for the kids sake. I might have to add some shrimp as well.

Thank You Travis!!
Not Spicy at all---Mrs Bear even liked it.
Shrimp would be a good addition, but another Mrs Bear No-No!!

Bear

Reactions: Sowsage
Looks great Bear! I like that stuff too. My favorite way is with some chicken, lil smokies, shrimp, and bay scallops or fake crab. Instead of diced tomatoes. I'll add a jar of med. heat salsa.

Thank You Steve!!
Your way sounds Great, but the Seafood is a no for Mrs Bear.:emoji_disappointed_relieved:
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good Bear!! You're right, that is pretty darned good stuff. It's a great thing to have around for a quick meal that's tasty. We keep several boxes on hand at all times. Don't make it very often but it sure is nice to have around on those days when I actually have to work.

Bear, I gotta tell you sir, I love the versatility of your breading machine / slicer. I'd say that was probably one of the best things that ever came into your life. If you take good care of them, you know they will last a long time :emoji_wink:

Not telling him anything he doesn't already know,
Robert

Thank You Robert!!
Yup---Over 51 years, so far.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Years ago I made my jambalaya with that box mix. I'm originally from Montana and my parents wouldn't eat the local food. I liked it so I used Zatarains boxes and would put in fresh tomatoes, onions and bell peppers for my jambalaya and it was pretty damn good.

So....
I'm going easy on you 'cause you did say you never made anything like this before and you might be getting hooked on good Louisiana food.

Zatarains is a well known brand. But the jambalaya it makes is nowhere near the real thing, trust me.
It's so easy to just do it from scratch and 1000 times better.
There are 2 types of jambalaya, red and brown < brown is cajun jambalaya, red is creole.
I like brown but both are good. Red, Creole jambalaya has tomatoes in it.

Jambalaya has few ingredients.
For the herbs, onions, bell peppers, parsely, garlic, green onions, and some use celery and bay leaves.
Do a search for "John Besh: New Orleans' Best Jambalaya | National Geographic", he does a few video versions of it online and gives you the basics for this dish. Bacon, Bacon, Bacon......
My farvorite is brown with Tasso, smoked boneless chicken thighs, and andouille sausage. MMMMMM did I say Bacon ?
Make it from scratch and you will never ever use a box again.

I'm about 20 miles fron New Orleans and cook it about 20 times a year. like most of us in the south, our jambalya is never the same but always good.

Hint, until you get good at it use par boiled rice. It's a liquid to rice ratio thing.
Much better with regular long grain, but par boiled is very forgiving. I also use a little "Kitchen Bouquet" in my brown jambalaya. Another hint, Most recipies have creole seasoning in them, if you use Tasso most of the seasoning is already there, Might need a teaspoon of extra seasoning.
Regular smoked sausage is just a good as andouille in jambalya.

The jambalaya in the pic is andouille only, ran out of smoked chicken thighs. :(
It's a comfort food, use what you have.

I do use some "boxed" / starter stuff. The gumbo was made with Blue Runner gumbo base in a can. Hard to tell the difference. Chicken, shrimp, tasso, and sausage, really good stuff.

Interesting!!
Thanks for all the Info!

Bear

don't know how I missed this bear, it sure does look good, think I had jambalaya 2 or 3 times it is tasty stuff. glad to see you found another job for your breading machine since your cutting back on the breaded chicken I would hate to see her out of work.

Looks good Bear! It’s been a while since I made it, I prefer the low sodium one too. I like to add a jar of homemade canned stewed tomatoes.

like!

Thank You Xray!!
Yeah I try to do low sodium whenever possible. I never had to worry about it, but since Nov 8, 2012 I have to because of my BP, CKD, and Congested Heart Failure. They all need low sodium.

Bear

don't know how I missed this bear, it sure does look good, think I had jambalaya 2 or 3 times it is tasty stuff. glad to see you found another job for your breading machine since your cutting back on the breaded chicken I would hate to see her out of work.

Thank You Jim!!
She'll never run out of work around here. That's for sure!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky