Jambalaya Basic w/ Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice thread! They don't make much Jambalaya in the dairy state I would like to try it.

icon_mrgreen.gif

Nice thread! They don't make much Jambalaya in the dairy state I would like to try it.

icon_mrgreen.gif
Thank you my friend, As good as the Andouille is that is being produced in the Great Northwest these days, there is no excuse for you to not be having Jambalaya in the great cheese state! I'd swap Jambalaya for cheese any day!

Ya know Kev... Tonight I went back to this outstanding tutorial.  My Jamba drifted off to a place I didn't care for. So. Back to basics.  ...Turned out flawless.  And as usual this was a great social study read while having a cocktail and waiting on the long grain to make magic. 

Thanks for what you do buddy.

b

Last edited:
You really can't imagine how many jambalaya's I have made (like any other coonazz), and every so often I have to go back to the basics too because I have slid either this way or that, and like you, I just ain't happy with it.

Its embarrassing when you know how to make a good jambalaya and serve someone something you don't even like or crunchie or mushie rice, etc.

We all do it, or I assume so. I can always make good one when I am taking it seriously, but its still a special day when it rings perfect.... the same in smoking. Its why I refer a lot about cooking being a labor of love. Its edible, its good, but when its perfect its a righteous experience. That's what wins cook off's, it is just your day sometimes and its good that day to smell the smoke.

I am glad it helps.

Last edited:
I gotta say BD, This batch of sausage has the exact taste I wanted. The Amephos and the powdered milk made it plump and juicy. I even impressed myself (it was an accident I assure you). But in my learning with the MES40 I smoked it a bit too long. Thanks to Reinhard for helping me figure that out.

Hard to beat a good jambalaya! Its one pot cooking too.

BTW you ever find something and wonder where the heck it came from? LOL I found a jambalaya pot and stand in the old garage. Its smaller than I ever used, smaller than I think I have seen before. The pot itself is about equal to a #12 or 14 dutch oven which makes it now a very handy size. I have no idea when or where it came here....LOL But I think I like it!

Last edited:
My highest compliment to you Foam.............link saved!

Sadly lost my favorite coonass friend a few years ago, the Cajunlady.  I have always said she was the best friend I never met. 
biggrin.gif

I will spend much time digesting the info in this thread.

Historically, I can imagine the Cajuns making gumbo and jambalaya with whatever was at hand on a given day.

Also, I like your comment about the ethnic or geographic melting pot cuisine, as I have long thought that was a big part of Cajun cooking, along with using whatever was available.

Points!

Good luck and good smoking.

My highest compliment to you Foam.............link saved!

Sadly lost my favorite coonass friend a few years ago, the Cajunlady.  I have always said she was the best friend I never met. 
biggrin.gif

I will spend much time digesting the info in this thread.

Historically, I can imagine the Cajuns making gumbo and jambalaya with whatever was at hand on a given day.

Also, I like your comment about the ethnic or geographic melting pot cuisine, as I have long thought that was a big part of Cajun cooking, along with using whatever was available.

Points!

Good luck and good smoking.
Thank you Sir.

There is no definative way to cook any cajun food anymore, I assume all types of ethnic cuisines are the same. Everyone puts their own interptation on whatever that historical dish was. But there are so many new experiences now to try and enjoy. The only hard and true rule I know is, there ain't no beans in chili!

Again, thanks!

Last edited:

I gotta say BD, This batch of sausage has the exact taste I wanted. The Amephos and the powdered milk made it plump and juicy. I even impressed myself (it was an accident I assure you). But in my learning with the MES40 I smoked it a bit too long. Thanks to Reinhard for helping me figure that out.

Hard to beat a good jambalaya! Its one pot cooking too.

BTW you ever find something and wonder where the heck it came from? LOL I found a jambalaya pot and stand in the old garage. Its smaller than I ever used, smaller than I think I have seen before. The pot itself is about equal to a #12 or 14 dutch oven which makes it now a very handy size. I have no idea when or where it came here....LOL But I think I like it!
Jamba... The original skillet dinner!  Heck Goldie I lose stuff all the time. And find it later and wonder who it belongs to. The kids have to set me straight and tell me it's mine!  You should see me looking for my car in the parking lot ! 

You should see me looking for my car in the parking lot ! 
That's why the put a panic button on the key chain isn't it?

Ever get a day off while out of town driving a rental this time of year and decide to get your holiday shopping done at the big, really big mall?

Forget what kind of car you have or where you parked? Take a cab back to the Hotel, come back early early the next morning? LOL

I have heard of folks doing this. ROFLMAO, definately funnier now I would bet.

That's a good looking jambalaya!

Its always a good time for jambalaya.

Thank you Foam! I'm stuck at a hotel for the week so I'm making my wish list of tasty home cooking I want to do when I get home! I think this made the top of the list! mmm good!

Jambalaya and gumbo are the two Cajun staples. As much comfort food as mac & cheese or corn chowder.

There are more charity events where they sell jambalaya and gumbo here than they'd even think about BBQ.

Its usually jambalaya when its hot and gumbo when its cool.

When I was just a bit larger than a pup, we always had tourist buses coming along the river here Christmas Eve. Loaded with tourists wanting to see the Cajun traditional bonfires on the level. The big bus tours asked if the local community club (that's from the old days), would consider feeding their customers. We ended up in a couple of years having to turn bus lines away, just no room. We cooked chicken and sausage gumbo for 1000 the first year.

The community club had a lot of parties for the members that year, with open bars. After about 7 or 8 years, there was too many government regulations and paperwork involved and they shut it down. BTW coonazzes take great pride in their consumption abilities. LOL They had a new roof, new dance floor, all new kitchen equip and the best bar I think I'm the state, well nearly anyway. Then everyone got old, it closed down. it was torn down and all sold or given away.

Sure had some outstanding local parties there. And every member had a key to the front door and the bar as always open and free. Have what you want just clean up and restock when ya leave. Like Scouting, make sure you leave it just a little better when you leave than when you found it.

Sorry, there I go again...... LOL

Reactions: bdskelly
Those a great stories! Thank you for sharing, it gives this Yankee some history to pass along when people like what I cook!

Back from my trip, making this tonight/tomorrow. One question, do you chop up the cooked bacon and put it back in the jambalaya or make sandwiches with it?
Thank you again!

Whatever trips ya trigger. If you are adding sausage no need for the bacon so Crumble it up and put it on that toss salad  to go with it.

you are basically just rendering the fat from the bacon to make the roux. How can that bacon fat be bad?

Its what's so nice about jambalaya, 1 dutch oven, 1 large salad bowl, 1 knife, 1 slotted spoon. That's all you'll dirty, well some tongs I guess for the salad.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky