jalapeno ratio for summer sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by tmon41, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I need some info on a ratio for jalapeno's in summer sausage. I have seen in other posts the ratio for cheese at 10 percent is it about the same for jalapeno's?

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I think it depends on how hot you want it. Everyone has different tastes. I would try what you think is the right amount for you and do a small batch. Then make adjustments.

3. Depends on your taste and the heat level of the peppers.
    10% would be a lot for most folks.
    I would start with a 1/4 cup per pound of sausage.

4. uncle_lar

uncle_lar Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I remove the seeds from mine and use 1 pepper for each pound of meat

I leave some of the vane in and get perfect amount of heat and wonderful flavor.

if the peppers happen to be really large or smaller than average I adjust accordingly

5. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ditto

All depends on how you like the heat. I found that for 10 lbs 1/4 to 1/2 cup is good and if ya want a little kicker add 1.5 Tbs jalapeno powder.

6. I vac packed then froze them and have been using 10% with seeds and all, run through the grinder with the meat. It does come out fairly spicy but most enjoy and don't think it is too hot.

7. Thanks for the info i ended up going with 1 pound of seeded jalapeno's for a 25 pound batch, and that seemed to work good. it had a little heat,but not too hot.