Jalapeno Chipotle Sausage Sticks in a brand new MES40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
The weekend I got my brand new LEM Big Bite #8 grinder, my MES40 died. The deceased MES40 was the second one I owned. After an extensive search of available smokers, and inconsideration of my smoking needs, I ended up buying my 3rd MES40this past Saturday at Bass Pro Shops - It was just under $400, tax and all. I seasoned it all day Saturday and made these sticks on Sunday afternoon - BECAUSE - Firearm deer season starts November 13 (it's a national holiday...look it up!) and an abundance of sticks and jerky is required.

I used 100% picnic roast. Single grind. TSM Jalapeno Sausage mix plus 1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle seasoning for this 5 pound batch. 19mm callogen casing. 10 mm stuffer tube. Here are the pics.

This meat grinder is a beast compared to my old KitchenAid with the PTO
IMG_7520.jpg

The 10 mm stuffer tube made cranking the LEM stuffer a lot harder...
Y4.jpg

Test patties...always a treat!
IMG_7523.jpg

Wow! That is one clean smoker. And yes - it was thoroughly seasoned.
I ended up rearranging the sticks and smoking them on the 2nd and 3rd shelf as the top shelf was about 3F hotter than the others.
The Inbird thermometers indicated the bottom 3 shelves were within 2 degrees of each other.
Y3.jpg

Done at 151F.
IMG_7549.jpg

Trimmed
IMG_7550.jpg

Ready for deer season!
IMG_7551.jpg

The sticks look good. Congrats on your Third MES... JJ

Reactions: uncle eddie
Nice lookin sticks and I'm excited for your deer hunting. I'm hoping to be prepped to drop some hogs and make sausage. No deer for me this year :(

I hope you didn't throw that busted MES out. As long as the heating element isn't the issue I bet we could help you get it back up and running with a PID controller and working better than any MES you could buy brand new :D

Let us know if interested and best of luck hunting next weekend! :D

Reactions: uncle eddie
I hope you didn't throw that busted MES out. As long as the heating element isn't the issue I bet we could help you get it back up and running with a PID controller and working better than any MES you could buy brand new :D

Let us know if interested and best of luck hunting next weekend! :D

I did not pitch the busted smoker...although it did "turn off the lights" in one end of our house with something in the smoker shorting out. I think it is control panel related. I will tinker with it for a bit and if the supply chain issues ease up, maybe the parts will be available for me to fix it again.

I did read with great interest about the PID controller fix, but my wife smokes a lot of meals...especially salmon, and when I showed her the fix, she 86'ed the idea. I will put it in the barn in the meantime.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky