Jalapeno cheddar sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Probably shouldn't tell this, but a long time ago, I was fixing something with fresh jalapenos out of the garden. The meal was perfect. So, later on me and the wife go to bed and get to doing well, you know. She says, "I'm hot". I say, "yes, that's the whole point." She says, "no, not that kind of hot, I'm on fire down there". Well, I found the situation way more amusing than she did. A week or two later is when I did it to myself, which she found way more amusing than I did. Paybacks are hell! Needless to say, I always wear gloves when handling hot peppers.
LOL, way too much information....

Reactions: DougE
I picked up the raw jalapenos and a block of Tillamook (?) today.

Now if I can amange to get them seeded/de-veined without putting my fingers near my eyes, I'll be golden! :emoji_wink:

If you use block then you will need to dice it small, about 1/4” cubes, unless you have a very course grater. Also the sharper the cheese (sharp, extra sharp) the dryer the cheese and the better it works in sausage. I use the Tillamook Farm style thick cut.

D6A5462A-145E-4BB4-BEF1-1AA72B0451E3.jpeg

Reactions: SherryT and DougE
Well, I ran out of gas after supper this evening, so all I got done was getting the spices/cure measured out, the cheese cubed (1/4" or less), and the jalapenos diced.

I gotta say, that sure looks like a LOT of jalapeno once its diced! :emoji_fire:

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I gotta say, that sure looks like a LOT of jalapeno once its diced! :emoji_fire:
I might be inclined to cut back some with fresh. It depends a lot on how hot the fresh peppers you have are. I'd have a sample and gauge the heat. Some store bought have little heat, and some have a good punch.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I might be inclined to cut back some with fresh. It depends a lot on how hot the fresh peppers you have are. I'd have a sample and gauge the heat. Some store bought have little heat, and some have a good punch.

What I thought I'd do is add half of the peppers, maybe a third (guess I'll have to chew a couple of pieces of the raw pepper up and see how hot they are!), do a test fry, and go from there.

Boy those look good!! I like the smoke tub below and in a pan idea. I've just been putting mine on the grill.
Thanks, Tinner. I put the tube in a pan to keep the ash from going straight to the bottom of the grill. Less cleanup that way. I also burn dust in the tube when cold smoking. It burns cooler than pellets. I got that trick from indaswamp indaswamp

Reactions: indaswamp
Those came out nice . Perfect texture for that type . Nice work .
Thanks, Rich. These are my favorite out of the sausages I make.
You can keep the secret recipe.....Just send me a pound or two of that sausage! Looks great.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I'm doing good to keep up with my own consumption. Far as secret recipes go, it ain't secret anymore lol. I just won't share recipes given to me privately without an okay from the one who gave it to me. If it's my own, I have no problem sharing.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks tsty.
Fun isn't?
I quietly started making sausage again after a long hiatus.
Not ready to post yet. I did introduce some at the S FL Gathering to get feedback.

One of the first batches I make after going north is a jalapeno cheddar. I've got a couple pounds of dehydrated peppers to play with in the mix.

Reactions: DougE
Looks tsty.
Fun isn't?
I quietly started making sausage again after a long hiatus.
Not ready to post yet. I did introduce some at the S FL Gathering to get feedback.

One of the first batches I make after going north is a jalapeno cheddar. I've got a couple pounds of dehydrated peppers to play with in the mix.
It's really a well balanced and delicious recipe. I start panicking when I pull the last pack out of the freezer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky