Jalapeno and Cheese Beef Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

litchfield beek

Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Thought I'd try a summer sausage recipe before deer season, knowing based on the deer that I may need to adjust.

Recipe used:

10# Ground Beef 80/20

8.5 T Morton Tender Quick  (dissolved in water about 1/4 cup)

2    T White Ground Pepper

2.5 tsp Whole Mustard Seed

2   tsp Majoram

2   T White Sugar

2   T Garlic Powder

1   tsp Ground Chipotle Powder

3   Jalapeno Seeded and chopped (could have gone with more)

1  lbs Hi Temp Cheddar Chees

Mixed ground meet until protein started to make a little sticky.  Mixed all ingredients without Jalapeño and Cheese.  Added those two ingredients last.

Set in fridge overnight 

Stuffed in fibers casing (2.56" x 12") using Weston Stuffer

Bradley 6 Shelf Electric Smoker  with Hickory pucks,

Here was the plan

130 deg for 1 hour to dry

150 deg with smoke for 4.5 hours

170 deg until I started getting concerned I would never get to sleep about 5 hours

180 deg 1 hour

190 until internal temp reached 154

Ice water bath until temp fell below 90.

Dried with paper towel and placed on racks in fridge for two days. 

Cut in half, vacuum packed and frozen.

Okay now for what actually happened:

Stuffed in morning prior to church.  Placed in smoker at the 130 temp.  Daughter who had to work and didn't't attend church turned smoke on at 40 minute (smoker takes 20 minutes to heat and then pushed puck in place).  We had forgotten that this particular church Sunday was the lunch and church meeting, so not a 2 hour church morning a 3.5 hour morning.  Not a problem, I have 5 hours of pucks in the smoker..  I get home, change and go out to smoker to find that my Bradley had and error and was off.  Box temp had fallen to 127 deg.  Had to reset (twice).  But back on schedule......   Now fast forward to the evening.  Child # 1, his wife and baby were over to do laundry, so Wife an I head into town to eat, since he can check on it if asked.  About mid bite of food I had the thought....Did I reset the time on the box?  The answer which you can guess is NO.  How long was it off, not sure but no lunger than 45 min.  Box temp was at 157.  Fortunately son is home to turn back on.  Thus the long day and the speed up at the end.

Still a darn good summer sausage.  Not real sure why we froze any of it since we are burning through it.

Last edited:
Looking good LB, That's always a good combination for summer sausage, Good job. What was your 80/20 mix, was it pork or fat mix? How sis your texture end up?  

Looks great But Have a Question.

I copied this for my recipe book and began converting measures to weights so I can easily reduce to small batch for samples. These days I always double check everyones cure amts, 

You seem to have nearly twice as much TQ as called for in 10 lbs of ground meat. Info i find says 1/2 Tablespoon per pound which should come to 5 tablespoons for 10 lbs, if I do my math correctly.

Is this correct ?

mosparky.  Sorry for the delay in response.  You are correct, Morton TQ does show the 1/2 T for pound of ground meat.  I struggled with this, doing a bunch of research and I found a number of recipes that had the 1T per pound and it was for ground meat not pre ground.  I actually reduced.  I mis typed in my recipe above.  It was actually 8.5T not the 9.5 and my weight of beef was closer to 10.5#'s  Still more then what I thought it should be.  I was expecting a high salt flavor, but oddly we could probably add.  I will say this, next time I make it I will reduce the TQ.  

I figured as much. I came across alot those recipes myself, hence why I double check the cure amounts on any recipe I add to my recipe file. As hard as it has become to find TQ off the shelf, I don't want to start double doseing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky