I've never burned before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ron Smith

Original poster
Nov 20, 2018
Bloomington, Illinois
I'm going to smoke a turkey for a family in need but they've requested no added salt in their food due to dietary restrictions. First of all, should I just not brine it? Secondly, can I brine it for added tenderness and moisture and rinse it off thoroughly and not leave added salt?

No brine and you should look for and All Natural Turkey. Your average grocery Turkey is already brined. You would have to brine then soak in fresh water, 1 to 2 days, to get the salt out. Since I never tried it I have no idea what the end result will give. If you cook to 155 in the Breast and 165 in the thighs, your bird will be tender and juicy...JJ

The point of brining is to put salt in the bird... I agree with Chef jj...skip the brining and pick an all natural turkey...roll some smoke to it...INT of 155~160*.
I'd cook it hot and fast so you don't dry it out.....300~325*

I bought two all-natural Frozen turkeys to use as soup stock and meat, no brining. They were so juicy and tender after smoking only the carcass was used for stock. I have Butterball pre-brine turkeys out in the freezer and wish I had more of the all-naturals.

I'm going to smoke a turkey for a family in need but they've requested no added salt in their food due to dietary restrictions. First of all, should I just not brine it? Secondly, can I brine it for added tenderness and moisture and rinse it off thoroughly and not leave added salt?
Ron-
I applaud your generosity to those that need help.

The others well answered your questions on brining and other added salts. No, no and no!

side note
My family doesn't eat turkey (outside of daughter that I thought must be from another father, except she does look like me) due to taste. We eat a lot of chicken as it is not the same as turkey even with bothing poultry. With a HBP wife we only purchase untreated chicken. Excellent taste and tenderness in varied cooking and smoking methods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky