It's that time of the year again..Tamales!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burner76

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
So every year around the holidays we make tamales for friends and family !!
Green chili chicken..
Mexican red
Spicey smoked pork ..to name a few !!
Do you like tamales..what's your favorite ?

Attachments

• 20171217_204901_Film2.jpg
    20171217_204901_Film2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171017_140228_Film2.jpg
    20171017_140228_Film2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 24
I love tamales. Watched 'em being made for years and had to come here a few years back to buck up and try them myself. I prefer chili verte too. But finding tomatillos here is impossible. If you get a chance sometime, use pulled pork. Its hard to beat!

I still like the old ladies way in West Texas. Its a party of the older matrons watching the mom's teaching the daughters, telling stories and laughing while the men are generally outside drinking and roasting a goat or at least BBQ'ing. They'd make 100's, maybe 1000's at a sitting, then divide 'em up and everyone got a share to take home, even the pinche gringo.

Reactions: Burner76
We're not exposed to allot of authentic Mexican food around here. So my experiences have been limited to Taco Bell and what's available in the local grocer(which isn't much - Old El Paso). Chilerelleno has opened my eye to a whole new world and now you burner. Can you write up a step-by-step on how their made? I'm still not sure I understand the difference between a burrito, taco, enchilada or a tamale.

Chris

Reactions: Burner76
We're not exposed to allot of authentic Mexican food around here. So my experiences have been limited to Taco Bell and what's available in the local grocer(which isn't much - Old El Paso). Chilerelleno has opened my eye to a whole new world and now you burner. Can you write up a step-by-step on how their made? I'm still not sure I understand the difference between a burrito, taco, enchilada or a tamale.

Sure thing Chris.. I'll try and work that up for ya soon..about to be busy for a few hrs. Check back tomorrow for recipe steps !

Chris

Thanks looking forward to it.

Chris

Sure thing Chris.. I'll try and work that up for ya soon..about to be busy for a few hrs. Check back tomorrow for recipe steps !

Cheers

Chilerelleno has opened my eye to a whole new world and now you burner.

I am really into Mexican and know tons (since pinned it down to TexMex) and Chile blows my mind. I feel like an amateur. Learning tons but the key is using the good sauces from the store. Interesting Chile does that too. I tried making my own at first and sooo much work and results were less than stellar. Chris, try shopping at places you normally don't. Anymore the big grocers carry it. I recall Walmart having a nice selection.

Was fortunate to be friends for a while with a family that would make and sell tamales. Yet to have any better. I think they added some sweet corn to the masa or something and filling (red pork) had just the right heat and it really made it balanced. Was definitely an old recipe. Often times they are bland. Love them with face melting hot sauce.

Anxious to see a step by step as a starting point to recreate the above. Would be a good family thing to do. Wonder if they freeze well?

I am really into Mexican and know tons (since pinned it down to TexMex) and Chile blows my mind. I feel like an amateur. Learning tons but the key is using the good sauces from the store. Interesting Chile does that too. I tried making my own at first and sooo much work and results were less than stellar. Chris, try shopping at places you normally don't. Anymore the big grocers carry it. I recall Walmart having a nice selection.

Unfortunately we don't have a super Walmart so our selections are pretty slim compared to what I saw available at the Walmart in Georgia(state) when I visited my daughter. Our local grocers are the basic Hannafords and Price Chopper type. They only carry the more popular commercial names. So if I want to try authentic Mexican food it has to be done from scratch.

Chris

So every year around the holidays we make tamales for friends and family !!
Green chili chicken..
Mexican red
Spicey smoked pork ..to name a few !!
Do you like tamales..what's your favorite ?
I have never made tamales,but I’m going to try this year. I’m going to make red chili pork.

Yes tamales are time consuming but oh so well worth it. Anything can go into them, beef,chicken, pork with just about any accent and filler. Dessert tamales are also great to make, can fill with any combination of fruit and filler. Yes they freeze well and steaming is the preferred way of cooking so read up on them grab the ingredients and a few extra sets of hands and enjoy good company while making tamales, all will head home happy and with bounty.

I prefer Mississippi Delta Hot Tamales. Simmered in a rich broth rather than steamed, gives a moister, very flavorful tamal. Helps to Recruit bodies to make Tamales. I tell my kids, " You don't help roll, you don't eat! "
The Instant Pot does cut the cook time down. Unless you try to stuff it too full. Learned that with a hungry crew wondering what was taking so long...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky