It's Tax Time And A LEM Is On The Horizon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sincronicity

Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Omaha, Ne
Like any good American, we all look forward to doing our taxes just to get that fabulous refund we hope and pray for.  This year I'm looking to pick up a LEM 5# Stuffer. 

I enjoy making summer sausage and would like to take a whack at Slim Jim sized snack sticks.

Will the LEM pump something tacky through a 19mm or 21mm stuffing tube or do I add more water for moistening?  I'm thinking not. 

When you pro's do it, how much water do I add and what consistency do I want? 

The tackyness issue is the only reason I haven't purchased the LEM so far and I don't want to end up with bent plunger threading or stripped gears.

Would ceartainly appreciate any guidance.

For the small size sticks I use a LEM jerky cannon.

But I'm sure that others will be along shortly that can tell

you about how to use the stuffer for them as well.

Keep on smokin'                         Ed 

Thanks Ed.  

I do have a Cabelas Jerky Gun.  I have a feeling that would take a lot of time to fill snack sticks since the stuffing tube is only about 3 inches long.  I don't know if they have a tube that would be longer or if I can modify with a piece of aluminum tubing.  

The smallest tube I have is 1/2" for my LEM 5# stuffer. I use it for hot dogs with sheep casing. I have to add a little extra water to the mix to get it to run through smoothly. The LEM has steel gears so they are pretty durable.

Al

I use a 3/8 tube to stuff 17mm snack sticks.  I use a little extra water and I have no trouble with it, however I had a guy try to "help"me, stuffer crank in one hand - cell phone in the other even after I told him to take it easy on it.  He ended up bending the frame of my stuffer.  I was able to fix it and I will not let him help me with the stuffer again.

Yep really like my 5lber from LEM you can get the 3/8" S/S tube from them also,, it does not come with the stuffer, you will need to purchase it separately - I do alot fo 19mm to 22mm snack sticks - Remember get some food grade grease for the gears and the O ring,, keep it lubed while stuffing goes alot easier

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS 

So to what consistency would I want the meat at before damaging the LEM and start kicking myself?  Maybe it's better to ask how thick is too thick for the LEM?  I tried the 3/8" on my Turboforce grinder and it got to the consistency of slop before anything would extrude.  By then I had slop leaking wherever slop could leak.  Perhaps I should have tried to make a rubber gasket for the base of the stuffing tube.or just been happy using the jerky gun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky