Its jerky time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
20181220_193630.jpg

Here's the first load of beef jerky.in the smoker...
I've got several flavors going...
A more traditional beef jerky with a little concentrated beef base, soy, Worcestershire, garlic and onion...
From that I make a "pepper" beef by rubbing some up with Montreal Steak seasoning a couple hours before smoking...
Then I've got a sweet teriyaki that's basically teriyaki and brown sugar with some soy for salt ...
And a spicy sweet teriyaki that has some cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper added...
This year I'm trying a new variation with sweet chili sauce and sriracha hot sauce.
Thanks for looking
MERRY CHRISTMAS-HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL
Walt

Looks Great, Walt!
Hope it comes out wonderfully for you!
I grabbed yet another Pork Loin today. I'm making holidaze jerky like a factory.
Do you have a source for your Sweet Teriyaki?
I have a special request for Sweet Teriyaki. And my attempts seem to come out too warm.
I use a dehydrator for my batches

Walt! How ya been?

I'd pay for that Sweet Chili and Sriracha, let us know how that turns out! <I might steal the recipe if you ever share it and try it on my pork loin jerky.>

You ever try Sambal Oelek over Sriracha for Jerky?

Walt! How ya been?

I'd pay for that Sweet Chili and Sriracha, let us know how that turns out! <I might steal the recipe if you ever share it and try it on my pork loin jerky.>

You ever try Sambal Oelek over Sriracha for Jerky?
Ill.let you know how it turns out and if it's any good I'd be happy to share the recipe...its a new one but the marinade had great flavor.
Stay tuned...
I've got those.mustard recipies I promised you too...I'll pm.them too you when I've got a minute...
The Sam ala sounds interesting...I'll have to work something up.

Looks Great, Walt!
Hope it comes out wonderfully for you!
I grabbed yet another Pork Loin today. I'm making holidaze jerky like a factory.
Do you have a source for your Sweet Teriyaki?
I have a special request for Sweet Teriyaki. And my attempts seem to come out too warm.
I use a dehydrator for my batches
Yeah I'm cranking it out too...tomorrow Ive got a pork loin sliced, marinating and ready for jerky and another batch of beef and about 18 lbs of pork loin brining for Canadian bacon...
I did about 35 pounds of different cheeses about 10 days ago...
My family friends are getting pretty spoiled...lol...
Not sure what you mean by "warm" with the teriyaki recipe...
I really like the Soy Vay veri veri teriyaki...
I think I get it at Krogers...
My recipe is really simple...
1/3 cup teriyaki, 1/3 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup water 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup white granulated (regular table) sugar, 1 heaping TBS fresh grated ginger and 1 heaping TBS fresh minced garlic.
I mix the water and pineapple juice and dissolve the sugars in that before mixing in the teriyaki (soy vay is pretty thick) ginger and garlic and marinara it for a out 24 hrs...
I get rave reviews on it.

Reactions: SonnyE
Ill.let you know how it turns out and if it's any good I'd be happy to share the recipe...its a new one but the marinade had great flavor.
Stay tuned...
I've got those.mustard recipies I promised you too...I'll pm.them too you when I've got a minute...
The Sam ala sounds interesting...I'll have to work something up.
The Sambal Oelek has less sugar then Sriracha, so more of a natural flavour, bit hotter though!

I can't wait for the recipes when ya get a chance Walt!

Yeah I'm cranking it out too...tomorrow Ive got a pork loin sliced, marinating and ready for jerky and another batch of beef and about 18 lbs of pork loin brining for Canadian bacon...
I did about 35 pounds of different cheeses about 10 days ago...
My family friends are getting pretty spoiled...lol...
Not sure what you mean by "warm" with the teriyaki recipe...
I really like the Soy Vay veri veri teriyaki...
I think I get it at Krogers...
My recipe is really simple...
1/3 cup teriyaki, 1/3 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup water 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup white granulated (regular table) sugar, 1 heaping TBS fresh grated ginger and 1 heaping TBS fresh minced garlic.
I mix the water and pineapple juice and dissolve the sugars in that before mixing in the teriyaki (soy vay is pretty thick) ginger and garlic and marinara it for a out 24 hrs...
I get rave reviews on it.

I will definitely try yours, Walt.
The one I've been following has 2 tsp of Black pepper in it. So it kicks a bit.
The ginger doesn't give it a bite?
But I've been asked for a Sweet Teriyaki Jerky. I'd like to oblige.
Thanks for your recipe!

I've located the SVVVT at my Walmart Superstore, so I'll pick some up.
If I can't get fresh Ginger, could I substitute ground powdered ginger?

The Sambal Oelek has less sugar then Sriracha, so more of a natural flavour, bit hotter though!

I can't wait for the recipes when ya get a chance Walt!
I like hotter...I always have to do small batches for myself because only my daughter can "stand the heat" I like...
I'll get those mustard sauce recipes off between Christmas and new years...
I cant share one publically...the grandma in law would have my head...it took me years to worm it out of her...lol...

I like hotter...I always have to do small batches for myself because only my daughter can "stand the heat" I like...
I'll get those mustard sauce recipes off between Christmas and new years...
I cant share one publically...the grandma in law would have my head...it took me years to worm it out of her...lol...
Oh I understand... she'd probably track the rest us down to boot.

But ayep, maybe if you poke me into remembering I'll try to bring along some of these weird Asian seasonings I dig to Michigan for ya :)

OK, back, got the stuff, cut the meat, 2 ea -1000 gram batches, be in the kitchen.
Thanks Walt!

Oop's forgot to post.
Well, here we are the next morning in the waiting zone.
I sprang up a separate thread. 2 Kilo's

OK, back, got the stuff, cut the meat, 2 ea -1000 gram batches, be in the kitchen.
Thanks Walt!

Oop's forgot to post.
Well, here we are the next morning in the waiting zone.
I sprang up a separate thread. 2 Kilo's
Well, the pressure is on now. I hope you like it and I didnt just waste a lot of your time and money...lol..
Walt

Reactions: SonnyE
Well, the pressure is on now. I hope you like it and I didnt just waste a lot of your time and money...lol..
Walt

Oh never, Walt.
You gave me the key to fix a problem I was having finding a Sweet Teriyaki base recipe.
I didn't have to jump in, I did so fully willingly.
And as always, if something was to go wrong, I go look at that guy in the mirror and ask him where he screwed up.
Thank You! ;)

Oh never, Walt.
You gave me the key to fix a problem I was having finding a Sweet Teriyaki base recipe.
I didn't have to jump in, I did so fully willingly.
And as always, if something was to go wrong, I go look at that guy in the mirror and ask him where he screwed up.
Thank You! ;)
Amen...I love that "look at the guy in the mirror" anology... anyway, I think your sweet teriyaki folks will like this. .
It's actually a variation of a slow cooker teriyaki chicken wing recipe I've been making for years and tried it on some jerky and it tasted pretty good....

Last edited:
Amen...I love that "look at the guy in the mirror" anology... anyway, I think your sweet teriyaki folks will like this. .
It's actually a variation of a slow cooker teriyaki chicken wing recipe I've been making for years as band tried it on some jerky and it tasted retty good....

LOL!
ScrewIng Up has I in it. ;) :emoji_laughing:

I will definitely try yours, Walt.
The one I've been following has 2 tsp of Black pepper in it. So it kicks a bit.
The ginger doesn't give it a bite?
But I've been asked for a Sweet Teriyaki Jerky. I'd like to oblige.
Thanks for your recipe!

I've located the SVVVT at my Walmart Superstore, so I'll pick some up.
If I can't get fresh Ginger, could I substitute ground powdered ginger?
Hey Sonny, I'm a cad...
I apologize, I wasnt intentionally ignoring you, I never saw your question about the fresh ginger till just now...
But I'm guessing you could...I never have and I'd google the equivalent because you are dead right...too much ginger definitely gives it a bit of a bite...I keep mine right around a TBS...but ground should work for future refrence.

So the verdict on the jerky is in...
The sweet teriyaki was a clear favorite....
The sweet chili and sriracha needs work...
More sweet and more sriracha...the flavors were great together just not quite strong enough...
The beef fit my expectations exactly...
It was absolutely what I remember beef jerky tasting like years back before all the flavorizing (is that even a word...lol...) became so popular...the concentrated beef base was a great addition to the marinade and made for a really nice beefy beef flavor...
My personal favorite was the pepper jerky which was simply the beef marinade with the strips of meat rubbed up with Montreal steak seasoning a few hours before smoking...again the nice beef flavor shined through and the Montreal steak seasoning added just the right "kick"...
Ill.post those recipes as soon as I transcribe my hen scratch notes...lol...
Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky