• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Italian Sausage Calculator

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
I have made quite a few batches of this recipe and everyone says it is pretty awesome. I have to agree. If I do say so myself. The weight of the meat always changes so instead of guessing all the time I took my recipe and put it in a Excel sheet so all I need to do is put in how many pounds of pork I got and Excel calculates the rest of the ingredients insuring my ratios are always the same. Fairly simple but it does take the thinking part out of it.
https://statich.smokingmeatforums.com/c/ce/ce33cec5_italiansausage.vnd.ms-office

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks good to me...JJ

dic1207

Joined May 1, 2012
Just got a Vertical Sausage Stuffer for Christmas, a romantic gift from my fiance. I think this might be the first batch going through it.

sam3

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 24, 2012
I've been meaning to try a new recipe, and this looks great. Thanks for posting!!

wes w

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 31, 2012
Scott,  what would be added to the recipe to make it spicy?   Thanks

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Typically red pepper flakes is what's used to make spicy italian sausage.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
On another note I don't think I stated that the fat percentage is added fat not total fat. Most butts are trimmed pretty good so more fat is needed.

xutfuzzy

Meat Mopper
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 14, 2006
Looks good, and I want to give it a try, but before I do...

for the first few ingredients you use "TSP" and the last couple of ingredients you use "tsp".  Are they both teaspoons are does the capitalized version TSP mean tablespoons?

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
TSP more commonly TBS, are Tablespoons...Great Question! Looking at the amounts, 1 Tablespoon Fennel per pound would be more common, compared to 1 tsp...JJ

Last edited:

danbono

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Hi I'm a little confused\, so is which is it  right.I agree 1 Tablespoon of Fennel per 1lb, sounds about right? Then again I just love Fennel in my Italian sausage.

TSP more commonly TBS, are Tablespoons...Great Question! Looking at the amounts, 1 Tablespoon Fennel per pound would be more common, compared to 1 tsp...JJ

Thanks Dan

s24smoove

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 12, 2014
typically, T=tablespoon

t=teaspoon

make your life easier and your recipes better, buy a scale, train your eyes in ounces, oz., make recipes in batches of 6.25 # to start, why, 6.25---12.5-----25----50---100, do you see a pattern emerging? good luck.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Upper case is Tablespoons. TBS is thin blue smoke. I didn't want to confuse myself.

sauced

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 9, 2015
I just joined group as I am very new to sausage making and your conversion sheet is great! Thanks for sharing!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.