Italian Sausage Calculator

Discussion in 'Sausage Makers' started by alelover, Dec 29, 2012.

1. I have made quite a few batches of this recipe and everyone says it is pretty awesome. I have to agree. If I do say so myself. The weight of the meat always changes so instead of guessing all the time I took my recipe and put it in a Excel sheet so all I need to do is put in how many pounds of pork I got and Excel calculates the rest of the ingredients insuring my ratios are always the same. Fairly simple but it does take the thinking part out of it.
    https://statich.smokingmeatforums.com/c/ce/ce33cec5_italiansausage.vnd.ms-office

ab canuck likes this.
  2. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Saved it. Thanks!

3. smoothsmoker

smoothsmoker Fire Starter

Saved it!

4. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]

5. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Cool

6. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good to me...JJ

7. Just got a Vertical Sausage Stuffer for Christmas, a romantic gift from my fiance. I think this might be the first batch going through it.

8. Saved this - Thank you! 

9. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

I've been meaning to try a new recipe, and this looks great. Thanks for posting!!

10. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i saved it as well. looks good. Reinhard

11. wes w

wes w Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Scott,  what would be added to the recipe to make it spicy?   Thanks

12. Typically red pepper flakes is what's used to make spicy italian sausage.

13. On another note I don't think I stated that the fat percentage is added fat not total fat. Most butts are trimmed pretty good so more fat is needed.

14. xutfuzzy

xutfuzzy Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Looks good, and I want to give it a try, but before I do...

for the first few ingredients you use "TSP" and the last couple of ingredients you use "tsp".  Are they both teaspoons are does the capitalized version TSP mean tablespoons?

15. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

TSP more commonly TBS, are Tablespoons...Great Question! Looking at the amounts, 1 Tablespoon Fennel per pound would be more common, compared to 1 tsp...JJ

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  16. danbono

danbono Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Hi I'm a little confused\, so is which is it  right.I agree 1 Tablespoon of Fennel per 1lb, sounds about right? Then again I just love Fennel in my Italian sausage.

TSP more commonly TBS, are Tablespoons...Great Question! Looking at the amounts, 1 Tablespoon Fennel per pound would be more common, compared to 1 tsp...JJ

Thanks Dan

17. s24smoove

s24smoove Fire Starter

typically, T=tablespoon

t=teaspoon

make your life easier and your recipes better, buy a scale, train your eyes in ounces, oz., make recipes in batches of 6.25 # to start, why, 6.25---12.5-----25----50---100, do you see a pattern emerging? good luck.

18. Upper case is Tablespoons. TBS is thin blue smoke. I didn't want to confuse myself.

19. smokin monkey

smokin monkey Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the work, saved!

20. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

I just joined group as I am very new to sausage making and your conversion sheet is great! Thanks for sharing!!