" It won't take no more Smoke after 4 hours..." HORSE HOCKEY!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Why does the neighbor freak out?  Thinks you're burning the place down, smoke in their apartment, is there a health issue (asthma, etc), generally grumpy?

I would ask nicely for them to let you know when they are not there.  That way you may pick up an extra day here & there.

Don

I have sent up Kielbasa and offered Bacon, Pulled Pork and to Smoke anything they want anytime...They said they don't like smoked food...
icon_eek.gif

wtf1.gif
Some folks just are not agreeable...JJ
Wish I was your neighbor.

Dude after meeting you and your family I wanted to visit more often and share some good food and drink, my Brother asks about you all the time.

Funny story, were having an 80th and 75th for my mom and dad and I was asked for some addresses for the invitations... so I send them to my sister.

Well my brother gets a call the next day from my sister asking WHO IS CHEFJIMMIE!!

True story.

I have sent up Kielbasa and offered Bacon, Pulled Pork and to Smoke anything they want anytime...They said they don't like smoked food...
icon_eek.gif

wtf1.gif
Some folks just are not agreeable...JJ

Dude after meeting you and your family I wanted to visit more often and share some good food and drink, my Brother asks about you all the time.

Funny story, were having an 80th and 75th for my mom and dad and I was asked for some addresses for the invitations... so I send them to my sister.

Well my brother gets a call the next day from my sister asking WHO IS CHEF JIMMY!!

True story.

Last edited:
You got it right Jimmy!!!!

The only time I'm not putting smoke on the meat is while it's in foil. Sometimes I even let it smoke while in foil, if I figure I don't feel like lighting it again after the foiling step is done.

I've been disputing that fact for years. Some say, you're wasting smoke after 4 hours, or after it hits 140 IT, Blah, Blah, Blah.

That's OK---I'll put smoke on it until it comes out of the smoker!!!

Bear
I had a guy up here explain that the butt will only take smoke up to the stall. He said at that point the meat starts to expel moisture (Causing evaporative cooling and the stall) and smoke cannot penetrate the higher pressure in the meat. Kinda made sense, then I asked what happens after the stall, I got the deer in the headlights look 
icon_eek.gif
 and a "I never thought about that" comment.

So, by his logic, a cold smoke would go as long as you want.

Me, other than a little dry time, if it's in the smoker it's gettin smoke.

I guess I'm lucky. If the wind is blowing the wrong way, all I get is more mouths to feed.

I had a guy up here explain that the butt will only take smoke up to the stall. He said at that point the meat starts to expel moisture (Causing evaporative cooling and the stall) and smoke cannot penetrate the higher pressure in the meat. Kinda made sense, then I asked what happens after the stall, I got the deer in the headlights look 
icon_eek.gif
 and a "I never thought about that" comment.

So, by his logic, a cold smoke would go as long as you want.

Me, other than a little dry time, if it's in the smoker it's gettin smoke.

I guess I'm lucky. If the wind is blowing the wrong way, all I get is more mouths to feed.
So you ran into a self-proclaimed Scientist !!!

Around here, the only neighbor close enough to smell my smokes, is my Son, as I often get a whiff of his smokes. Then the phone rings----"Whatcha Smokin' ???"

Bear

Chef, if you get in a bind you can smoke at my place, I dont have any neighbors. About an hours drive from Hburg. Bring all your smokers and use mine too if you want.
Thanks for the offer. I have nothing in the works right now...JJ
Why does the neighbor freak out?  Thinks you're burning the place down, smoke in their apartment, is there a health issue (asthma, etc), generally grumpy?

I would ask nicely for them to let you know when they are not there.  That way you may pick up an extra day here & there.

Don
Don, There is now health issues. They said they sell Antique Dolls on Ebay and the wood smoke is getting on the dolls. They advertise a Smoke Free Environment....Here is the Kicker...THEY SMOKE LIKE TRAINS!!!  I asked when was a good time for me to smoke...He said NEVER!...JJ

Well my brother gets a call the next day from my sister asking WHO IS CHEF JIMMY!!

True story.
That's Funny. I had a good day as well. I am heading over to NJ beginning of June. House is 1 hour North of Philly up NJ Tp to exit 10 then NW a couple miles. I still wish to get together again...JJ

Thank god none of my neighbors care..... course I do usually pass out ziploc baggies of meat after a smoke, so that may have something to do with it!
biggrin.gif

However I did scare the crap out of one neighbor last Thanksgiving. I fired up my smoker at 5:00 AM to get the turkey on by 6:00. Apperantly he was asleep and some of the smoke had filtered into his house and he woke up smelling smoke. He ran all around his house looking for a fire, then stepped into his back yard and saw me tending the smoker. I felt bad so I took him over a turkey leg and some brest meat later... lol.

More time in smoke = more flavor ........ Duh

When I see a post stating "smoke does not penetrate after 4hrs or after 165 degrees". I just move on and think that some day they will figure out what they are missing out on........

That last place we lived my neighbors would poke their heads over and start asking what time dinner was. I would tell them the time and the side dish they were listed to bring with them. We had some great feasts that way :biggrin:

Now where I live ........well 20 acers puts a lot of distance between me and my neighbors....... I just have to make sure to invite the owner of the land and the father of my wife to dinner, or at least have a bag ready for pick up. I also need to let him know when I fire up just in case he wants to add to the cook......

As for the neighbor.....it sounds like you are building the right connections to get this resolved in the proper manor. Besides does it have anything in your deed saying no smoking in it?

Only restriction in the Deed is Electric Only on second or third floor. I am not unsympathetic to him not caring for the smoke smell and getting into his Apt if no wind. But to say I CAN'T SMOKE EVER! Is plain BS. As I said I will be going to NJ for a few or so months but now Casey (Ski302) is saying she is not looking forward to going through the summer with having to road trip to get Ribs, Kielbasa and PP. I think a Smokin-it with the 1" Vent will help but they are pricier for a smaller than MES40 smoker...JJ

"

Don, There is now health issues. They said they sell Antique Dolls on Ebay and the wood smoke is getting on the dolls. They advertise a Smoke Free Environment....Here is the Kicker...THEY SMOKE LIKE TRAINS!!!  I asked when was a good time for me to smoke...He said NEVER!...JJ"

wtf1.gif

Keep an eye on them!  That just ain't normal.  They may be some type of new supervillans! 

Only restriction in the Deed is Electric Only on second or third floor. I am not unsympathetic to him not caring for the smoke smell and getting into his Apt if no wind. But to say I CAN'T SMOKE EVER! Is plain BS. As I said I will be going to NJ for a few or so months but now Casey (Ski302) is saying she is not looking forward to going through the summer with having to road trip to get Ribs, Kielbasa and PP. I think a Smokin-it with the 1" Vent will help but they are pricier for a smaller than MES40 smoker...JJ
I guess I can be kind of a jerk sometimes, or most times, so this one comes easy to me, but wrt your neighbors, I'd tell them to take a flying leap.    You have gone out of your way to be reasonable and neighborly, but in the end, you are doing nothing wrong.  From what you've said, you are well within the rules/restrictions, so they just have to deal with it.

Being the nice guy that I am, their militant attitude about it would lead me to finding more things to smoke on a much more frequent basis. 

I guess I can be kind of a jerk sometimes, or most times, so this one comes easy to me, but wrt your neighbors, I'd tell them to take a flying leap.    You have gone out of your way to be reasonable and neighborly, but in the end, you are doing nothing wrong.  From what you've said, you are well within the rules/restrictions, so they just have to deal with it.

Being the nice guy that I am, their militant attitude about it would lead me to finding more things to smoke on a much more frequent basis. 
Ha Ha...we are so much alike on this. 

Please change that---I never ever said that !!!!

I hope nobody reads that word for word, because Bear says the opposite. Bear's been disagreeing with people that think that for years!!!!

Like I said, I got smoke going in my smoker all the time, except when foiled, and sometimes even when foiled, so I don't have to put it out & relight it.

Bear
Sorry Bear, I changed my post.  As you can see, I was not trying to say that you think that there is no reason to smoke more than 4 hours or after it reaches a certain temp.  My only intention was to state that I too had heard the "some people say" type comment about smoke not penetrating after a certain IT.   Sorry for the confusion.  Would not want to poke a Bear. 
77.gif

Sorry Bear, I changed my post.  As you can see, I was not trying to say that you think that there is no reason to smoke more than 4 hours or after it reaches a certain temp.  My only intention was to state that I too had heard the "some people say" type comment about smoke not penetrating after a certain IT.   Sorry for the confusion.  Would not want to poke a Bear. 
77.gif
Thank You,

My thought is, there is no such thing as too much light smoke, and the longer the better, but NO HEAVY SMOKE !!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky