" It won't take no more Smoke after 4 hours..." HORSE HOCKEY!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had the same problem till i took some meat over to the neighbor to sample , after that he was fine with it and i told him if he smells smoke to bring over some meat and i will smoke it along with mine ...........this has worked out great but also at the same time .......now he asks ever weekend if i am going to smoke !

I have sent up Kielbasa and offered Bacon, Pulled Pork and to Smoke anything they want anytime...They said they don't like smoked food...
icon_eek.gif

wtf1.gif
Some folks just are not agreeable...JJ
You don't have a change with them......Too bad.....
wife.gif

You got it right Jimmy!!!!

I've been disputing that fact for years. Some say, you're wasting smoke after 4 hours, or after it hits 140 IT, Blah, Blah, Blah.
I agree with you all also, but I do look at smoke as a seasoning and just like seasoning, there are many different kinds.  I choose from  what is available and smoke for the length of time to meet my individual taste.

As I consider my hot smokers as ovens also, the smoke time may be from none at all to many hours, depending on the product.

Tom    

Last edited:
I have heard what Bear said, that certain meats won't really take on more smoke flavor after a certain temperature is reached.    I don't know how true that is, but that's what I heard.   Usually have the smoke going as long as its not foiled.

After being scolded (see below). What I meant to say was I have heard what Bear was disputing.  Bear had a post above saying "Some say, you are wasting your time after 4 hours . . ."  I was just saying that I have heard that too.   I was not trying to attribute the philosohy to Bear as it is clearly something he does not agree with.

Last edited:
I have heard what Bear said, that certain meats won't really take on more smoke flavor after a certain temperature is reached.    I don't know how true that is, but that's what I heard.   Usually have the smoke going as long as its not foiled.
The temperature thing ONLY has to do w/ the smoke ring and when it stops.  Smoke  will continue to concentrate more on the outside of the meat if it's exposed to it  through out the whole process. 

Last edited:
I have heard what Bear said, that certain meats won't really take on more smoke flavor after a certain temperature is reached.     I don't know how true that is, but that's what I heard.   Usually have the smoke going as long as its not foiled.
Please change that---I never ever said that !!!!

I hope nobody reads that word for word, because Bear says the opposite. Bear's been disagreeing with people that think that for years!!!!

Like I said, I got smoke going in my smoker all the time, except when foiled, and sometimes even when foiled, so I don't have to put it out & relight it.

Bear
I certainly hope so or I wasted 124 of 128 hours smoking my ham.

T
LOL---You didn't waste a minute of that precious smoke!!!

Bear

Last edited:
Depends on the smoke. When smoking for long periods only with wood the bark on the meat can get a little too bitter. It will continue to take some smoke after 4 hours but with certain woods I would tend to wrap it in foil after 4 or 5 hours smoking and then continue to let it cook protected. Everyone has their own preferences I guess...

Kathryn - I have found the perfect present for you ... http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Demeter-Fragrance/Holy-Smoke-10174.html  
thumbsup.gif

Personally I have never gotten bitter tasting meat from smoking too long. That comes from smoke being too heavy, and it doesn't take long to happen.

Bear

I have sent up Kielbasa and offered Bacon, Pulled Pork and to Smoke anything they want anytime...They said they don't like smoked food...
icon_eek.gif

wtf1.gif
  I am trying to remain calm, and do not want to freak out.  Peaceful thoughts, "only one man's opionion", etc.  BUT it ain't easy!!!!!
pb.gif

icon_eek.gif

wtf1.gif
That settles it they are definitely not in their right mind! I would let you q for me any time, and possibly bug you for secrets every now and then if you were my neighbor.

But I am a firm believer in rolling smoke the entire time, and letting the meat do its thing without mopping,basting, etc. Once the meat goes in the cooker is not opened again until I am pulling it out. I have always have great deep smokey flavors in the meat.

Amen!!

Jimmies Back!

You crack me up, try bribing your neighbor with some good eats

Jimmy I believe the 4 hour rule may have originated from the amount of smoke penetration.

I am guessing that after 4 hours of smoke during cooking, the smoke will not penetrate any further, however the particles do keep forming on the bark as long as you add smoke but the penetration stops.(Sort of like when you get married)

I believe this is true for hot smoking, not really sure about cold smoking.

I like to think of it this way, Stick burners can't turn the smoke off. Some of the best smoked food I have had has come from stick burners. So with that said I usually smoke the entire time, unless I do something stupid like fall asleep and forget to reload whatever it is I am using to produce smoke!

I'd go live in a tent in the middle of nowhere if I could only smoke once a month!  
Actually you can come pretty close to turning off the smoke, I can do a Pit Loin with nearly no smoke flavor or tbs at all burning sticks.

Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ  

I have been limiting my smokes to once a month...
th_crybaby2.gif
...And try to only smoke on days that the wind will blow the smoke sideways rather than back toward the building.
Chef, if you get in a bind you can smoke at my place, I dont have any neighbors. About an hours drive from Hburg. Bring all your smokers and use mine too if you want.

Chef, if you get in a bind you can smoke at my place, I dont have any neighbors. About an hours drive from Hburg. Bring all your smokers and use mine too if you want.
Maybe you could teach JJ all about "Cow-tipping" while he's there???
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky