Issue with cure in Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokemifyougotem

Original poster
Jul 24, 2020
Hey guys, I mixed up a batch of deer sausage the other day, with deer, pork, water and spices I had ~ 45 lbs. I Measured and mixed the cure with the other spices and the water (mixed in a jar, shake for 30 seconds rest 2 min, shake 30 seconds before slowly and uniformly adding into the mixer). Mixed batch for 15 minutes in a LEM paddle mixer stopping twice the shift the mix around to make sure it was mixing properly. Mix looked very uniform throughout after the blending. Stuffed then waited a day for the sausage to bloom then I cold smoked it. Cook the sausage and cut into it and notice that it did not cure correctly, some places look somewhat pinkish but others are fresh meat grey. I really don't think I did anything wrong, followed the same process as I always do(probably made 300lbs of sausage exactly this way in the last 4 months), it looked perfectly blended. The only thing that seems to be outside the norm was a new batch of cure that I opened fresh for this mix. I purchased it on Amazon because the previous week when I was at my local supply shop the cure did not make it into my order and I didn't want to waste $20 worth of gas to go back for 1 bag of cure. I used a brand that I have purchased on there before with no issues. I figured you boys on here may have some thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Smok'em

Not mixed good enough for all the dry to incorporate with the meat.

Not mixed good enough for all the dry to incorporate with the meat.
I wondered that as well but then wouldn't the areas that were cured be really pink not just a light hue, this is 60% deer sausage and usually it turns out very pink after cooked? The dry was mixed with water and mixed up very well before being added and then it was added evenly over the course of 2 minutes and then the 15 minute timer for mixing was started.

Reactions: JC in GB
I Measured and mixed the cure with the other spices and the water (mixed in a jar, shake for 30 seconds rest 2 min, shake 30 seconds before slowly and uniformly adding into the mixer).
That is perplexing given you mixed the cure with water before adding in and mixed in a meat mixer 15 min.
What kind of cure did you use?

I wondered that as well but then wouldn't the areas that were cured be really pink not just a light hue, this is 60% deer sausage and usually it turns out very pink after cooked? The dry was mixed with water and mixed up very well before being added and then it was added evenly over the course of 2 minutes and then the 15 minute timer for mixing was started.

What was the brand if cure? It seems like you did your mixing right....

JC

It was Texturestar prague powder #1. I don't like to buy from Amazon, its nicer when you have a local guy you can go bitch to when this stuff happens but it was a cure brand I had used before. I really think the cure was dead for some reason. Worst part is it wasn't my deer I was just doing it for a friend. The 50 lbs I made the day before with the last of my old bag of cure is still good but he lost 1/2 his sausage and I lost the time, pork and spices I put into it.

I don't think cure goes bad. Do you have a pic of the cooked sausage? someone else had a similar problem just recently.

Reactions: chopsaw
I with Rick. The cure and the seasoning did not incorporate with all the meat. Always do a final mix by hand if using a paddle mixer.

My 2 cents

Boykjo

I don't have pics I dropped my phone and broke the camera lens, waiting on a part. I definitely used the correct amount of cure (2.5g/kg of mix). I've never heard of cure going bad either. I'll start doing a hand mix as well but, like i said, i mixed this batch the exact same as the other batches I have made since i bought the mixer. The only visible spice in the sausage is the cracked pepper and it seems evenly mixed, the other spices all dissolved of course.

I did a Texturestar Pink Curing Salt search... It came up on Amazon Canada... Their description was weird... here it is....
There are some laws in Canada where cure can't be 6.25% and must be around 1% or something like that....

#6 – TextureStar Prague Powder #1 Pink Curing Salt

41NAQQtNoqL.jpg
684 Reviews
Texturestar Pink Curing Salt (Prague Powder #1), 1Kg...
  • PERFECT FOR CURING – Pink curing salt is...
  • PRESERVES NATURAL PINK COLOR – Pink curing...
  • TYPES OF MEATS – With this curing salt, you...
  • PROPER DOSING – To ensure food safety you...
  • GREAT VALUE – At 1oz of pink salt per 25lbs...

Check Price on Amazon

Each package weighs in at one kilogram (or 2.2 pounds), this is one of the best values on our list. The rosy color makes this an excellent choice for pastrami, but it will also season your jerky like a pro. Beware of keeping it too close to the Himalayan pink salt on your spice shelf—the colors are similar enough to make you easily confuse the two.

The instructions on the conveniently re-sealable package are somewhat vague, but if you order through an online big-box retailer (such as Amazon), they’ll provide you with all the information you need. TextureStar isn’t widely available for home cooks, but it’s a high-quality product that turns out professional-grade smoked and cured meats.

Pros:
  • Good price point
  • Lovely color imparts a nice hue to pastrami and corned beef
  • Re-sealable package
Cons:
  • Insufficient instructions on package
  • May be difficult to find
  • Color is very similar to Himalayan pink salt

Texturestar is made by Qualifirst which is a Canadian Company and in Ontario...

The packaging DOES NOT give a % nitrite....

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
No cure in Canada is generally 6.25% Nitrites and on the bag it is marked as 6.25%. I'll just chalk it up as a loss, throw out this bag of cure just in case and get some from my reliable (when he puts the stuff in the bag) local sausage supply store.

I would not use it...

Product description

Pink Curing Salt is used as a preservative when making charcuterie to slow bacterial and fungal growth and to preserve a good natural pink colour. It is sold under several names including Prague powder #1. It's pink to make sure we don't use it as regular table salt and blends better with meat. Pink Curing Salt is excellent for use when making sausages, brining meats such as ham or turkey, or when smoking meats such as bacon or pastrami.

Drained by the endless struggle to find high quality performing powders, the Texturestar assortment of products was born. An assortment of powders ranging from sugar alternatives, molecular gastronomy ingredients, to cleaning products, we have you covered with a line of products designed and developed to ensure premium quality makes it into homes across north america at an affordable price. If you have any questions or concerns about this or any of our other products, please do not hesitate to reach out directly so we can be of assistance, your satisfaction is our number one concern.

No cure in Canada is generally 6.25% Nitrites and on the bag it is marked as 6.25%. I'll just chalk it up as a loss, throw out this bag of cure just in case and get some from my reliable (when he puts the stuff in the bag) local sausage supply store.

Where did you get your information...
Cure, in Canada, is NOT generally 6.25% nitrite.. Up until a few years ago, cure#1 @ 6.25% nitrite was not allowed in Canada...

This is from Amazon.... It does not have 6.25% printed on it that I can see.....

Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.

1613679787340.png

1613679819689.png

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
I typed that incorrectly Daveomak, I should have said that I always check the cure and make sure it is 6.25% before use. Honestly though all the cure I have bought in Canada, every bag has been 6.25%. I did not realize that it used to be a law but then that’s likely how tenderquick got such a big following up here. Thanks for the info.

Post some pics.

Q1: are any of the spices easy to see? e.g. black pepper?

If yes, look closely at how those are distributed. That'll give you a clue as to whether or not the batch mixed right.
Grey part have no pepper=assume grey part have no cure.

Q2. Was the ground meat partially frozen when mixing?

If yes, some non-thawd chunks could have been big enough to cause incomplete incorporation of ingredients.

Q3. Any chance a bag of diced-but-not-ground meat got mixed in?

In any case, cure won't go bad.
Texturestar does not list its NaNO2 concentration, but the instructions say "4 oz to 100 pounds meat for 156ppm. " That tells me it's the usual 6.25%.

You are correct Dave it does not say 6.25% but it says 4 oz to 100lbs for 156ppm which means the cure is 6.25%

Hey PolishDeli, the pepper is visible and mixed uniformly throughout, that is the only visible spice, the deer and pork are evenly incorporated. All meat was thawed, fine ground and checked for lumps prior to adding to the mixer. I use only plastic tubs so while the meat does see some steel in the mixer and the stuffed it is not for long enough to affect the cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky