Issue at COSTCO today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll put it this way. Businesses have a right to exempt firearms from their premises, but until they are willing to provide armed guards to protect their customers from some whack job that comes into the "Gun free zone" they created, it's up to me to protect my family and myself even if it means ignoring their policy.

I'll put it this way. Businesses have a right to exempt firearms from their premises, but until they are willing to provide armed guards to protect their customers from some whack job that comes into the "Gun free zone" they created, it's up to me to protect my family and myself even if it means ignoring their policy.
absolutely corret.

You just have to be willing to accept the outcome.

Sorry that you had to go through this. I'm so sorry your child is sick. We've gone through that and we know how the constant worry can drain you. Best wishes you you and your family.

Reactions: nygiant and chopsaw
So I typed out a big long response and deleted it.

I swore off social media a few years ago because of things like this...so I'ma tread lightly here.

Staying away from the gun topic which I have fairly strong feelings about, I'll just give you my grandfather's old saying, since would apply here. "Sometimes there is a right way to do something, but there is always a lot of wrong ways". If that man would have asked you privately, none of us would be talking today.

I'm not sure what kind of expectations we should have for Costco greeters...but I think most here would agree that this could have been handled better. I never would have brought it up to the manager. I'm glad you did. Maybe a little greeter feedback would be helpful.

All the best to your family. I hope things get better for you!!

Reactions: DougE
So I typed out a big long response and deleted it.

I swore off social media a few years ago because of things like this...so I'ma tread lightly here.

Staying away from the gun topic which I have fairly strong feelings about, I'll just give you my grandfather's old saying, since would apply here. "Sometimes there is a right way to do something, but there is always a lot of wrong ways". If that man would have asked you privately, none of us would be talking today.

I'm not sure what kind of expectations we should have for Costco greeters...but I think most here would agree that this could have been handled better. I never would have brought it up to the manager. I'm glad you did. Maybe a little greeter feedback would be helpful.

All the best to your family. I hope things get better for you!!
Let's just say that I made it clear where I stand, and will withdraw from the topic.

Sorry to hear about your child's health issues... it is never easy dealing with things like that. I hope things improve for your whole family!
Won't really comment on the rest of the post... it happened, you were upset. Right or wrong it can't be changed. All I ask is to keep things civil... have the feeling it's bordering that. Let's go back to smoking some meat and having full bellies!

Ryan

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Let's just say that I made it clear where I stand, and will withdraw from the topic.
You and me both. At least there are different places for different people, right? Places like California and New York are really cool in a lot of ways, but I don't think I could live there. Just not one of those guys....although I have many friends there, especially California. And vacation there often. Just leave some things at home.

Its a healthy to be able to talk about these things though. Try to understand other peoples perspective and why they have them. Gun use/safety was pretty ubiquitous for me growing up, but for those that were raised different I can understand how it might be somewhat frightening. Especially now-a-days with mass shootings and 24/7 news programs.

A buddy and I were just talking about how his dad would go on hunting trips out of state in the early 70s. Had no problem getting on the plane at the small/local airport and putting his 12 gauge in the overhead. No one cared.

Different times.

nygiant nygiant I'm sorry to hear about your kid's health and toll it's it's taking on your family.

The greeter's response was ridiculous. People wear all kinds of stuff on their hips that are not weapons including medical devices.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I think you handled it properly. Yeah you might have been a little on edge due to all the shit going on in your life but dude didn’t have to make a scene out of it. Could have called you off to the side and asked you privately. Could have had an insulin pump on your side and he had to point that out to everyone. Not right. Just my $.02 but a good civil conversation in my opinion. Best of luck with your child. You know the SMF community is here to help if you need it my man.

Reactions: nygiant
I think that most who carry, will carry in a business that says no guns. In Florida, they can ask you to leave, and if you don’t you can be arrested for trespassing. There will probably be more businesses that put up those signs, because Florida just passed a Constitutional carry law. So any one can CC with or without a permit.
Al

I think that most who carry, will carry in a business that says no guns. In Florida, they can ask you to leave, and if you don’t you can be arrested for trespassing. There will probably be more businesses that put up those signs, because Florida just passed a Constitutional carry law. So any one can CC with or without a permit.
Al
We got this same carry law in Tennessee last year. Surprisingly haven’t seen an uptick in the no guns allowed signs.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Al
Kentucky went constitutional carry a few years ago and nothing really changed around my area, anyhow. I keep my permit anyhow for if I travel to other states, and also don't have to do background checks at gun stores ....... they just put my permit number on the 4473 and send me on my way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky