Is waygu beef worth the money?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's ok for an occasional treat now and then. If you've never had it, then yeah, it's probably worth a try.

A few years ago I ordered a Wagyu steak at a restaurant in Phoenix; Tomahawk cut ribeye. Absolutely huge. A momentous, once in a lifetime taste treat. Very expensive. And worth it. Just once!

A few years ago I ordered a Wagyu steak at a restaurant in Phoenix; Tomahawk cut ribeye. Absolutely huge. A momentous, once in a lifetime taste treat. Very expensive. And worth it. Just once!
If I decide to treat myself would you suggest getting in a restaurant or cooking myself

If I decide to treat myself would you suggest getting in a restaurant or cooking myself

If you are good at the grill, I would recommend DIY. The steak is expensive on it's own without having it marked up for profit and such. Otherwise..........

check the oriental markets (H-mart or Mitsuwa) my roommate finds wagyu for a 'reasonable' price. I will say I was dubious before I tried it, but if you like rich meat with a lot of buttery fat, and in small amounts, then it's worth it. I did what many would consider sacrilege - I quickseared the 3 ounces of it on a eyebrow searing cast iron griddle and ate half.. the other half I added to some crystal noodle (mung bean noodle) 6 mushroom soup - and added the melted fat in as well. very tasty stuff.

Unless your fortunate like PC Farmer (I have to give him a hard time!) and can raise your own I would say it’s a nice treat!

For for example consider this SRF Wagyu burger that was 8/lb

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/srf-wagyu-mushroom-bacon-burger.290534/

Is 8/lb a lot for burger YES but how much do you pay for just an average burger at the drive up window? So now the 2lbs in the post above made 6 - 1/3 burgers....so we got Wagyu burger for 1/3 the cost if the drive up window...so was it worth it YES, YES, and YES!!!

Here in the west SRF Wagyu is only slightly more than prime so it makes a nice reward and anyway you look at it the cost is still less than a restaurant that give you a choice cut.

I have had it in restaurants, at home, and even over a fire on the beach. All three are good just up to you on how you like it prepared!

I say if you are willing to spend 25 plus for a steak in a restaurant then it’s worth it!

Last edited:
Reactions: ofelles
Unless your fortunate like PC Farmer (I have to give him a hard time!) and can raise your own I would say it’s a nice treat!

For for example consider this SRF Wagyu burger that was 8/lb

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/srf-wagyu-mushroom-bacon-burger.290534/

Is 8/lb a lot for burger YES but how much do you pay for just an average burger at the drive up window? So now the 2lbs in the post above made 6 - 1/3 burgers....so we got Wagyu burger for 1/3 the cost if the drive up window...so was it worth it YES, YES, and YES!!!

Here in the west SRF Wagyu is only slightly more than prime so it makes a nice reward and anyway you look at it the cost is still less than a restaurant that give you a choice cut.

I have had it in restaurants, at home, and even over a fire on the beach. All three are good just up to you on how you like it prepared!

I say if you are willing to spend 25 plus for a steak in a restaurant the it’s worth it!

absolutely my way of thinking. part of why I got into smoking and charcuterie in general - I like good food, and when I discovered I could make better product than most of the restaurants around here, and top most stuff in the big-box stores, man I was hooked.

the roommate doesn't complain either.

I've been looking up Japanese waygu and American waygu. Very expensive, worth getting?

For first time I would stay strictly with American wagyu. This is a treat for sure and you don't want to mess up cooking it. What are you thinking about getting?

For first time I would stay strictly with American wagyu. This is a treat for sure and you don't want to mess up cooking it. What are you thinking about getting?
I was thinking some sirloin. I'd like something I can smoke for a while. What do you suggest?

If you’re comfortable with your brisket skills then wagyu brisket is fantastic. Otherwise I would suggest a reverse seared tri-tip. Smoke on low for two hours pull and rest for 5 min then sear both sides on a hot grill approximately 2-3 min per side. Thickest part IT should be around 137° for a medium rare.

I agree with Civilsmoker SRF has great products. Their black grade brisket has never failed me. The same with their Trip tip.
Like Schlotz said try American wagyu to start

Yep, I agree as well. I started out with American wagyu as well begin moving up to trying Japanese wagyu.

Personally, I think the lesser cuts of American Wagyu is good marketing to get $25+ a pound. If I am going to eat Wagyu, American or otherwise, I order A5, top grade, almost 50/50 fat to lean and then make excuses to the Mortgage Company as to why the payment will be late. Otherwise, a good Dry Aged Prime Beef, is just as good and cheaper than the lower grade Wagyu. YMMV as they say...JJ

My wife was in a NYC steakhouse for work and the Wagyu steak was priced out at $35 per oz...so instead she got a $98 rib eye and that was just for the steak. The real crime is she brought home the leftovers and I left it on the counter when I went to work, ended up feeding $98 rib eye to the stray cats at work the next day.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky