Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Bacon? Nope (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was at 99 ranch couple weeks ago and bellies where $5.99 lb. I made some sausage last week to take break from bacon and over seasoned it. Still eatable.
Did you first weigh the meat, then apply the seasonings by % to meat weight.? Mine comes out perfect every time because I implement these measures.

OMG!! I would die if I could only have bacon once a month. that'd be almost as bad as telling me I could only have 1 beer a month
That's the price I pay for a misspent life, lol. As we lose the pounds going forward, I'm certain the Bacon intake will increase slightly. :emoji_wink:

Here's my bacon
2021-08-15 14.01.23.jpg

That's sure a nice load of bacon Robert! Have about the same in the fridge curing now also. Just the two of us also but we still eat alot of bacon! Figure I'll cut back when I stop liking gravy, taters, and bread... oh and pasta!

Ryan

That’s one hell of a haul of bacon Robert! Looks delicious too! I gotta try making the Jeff’s one someday.

I’m definitely making more once it cools. I’ve given a bunch away to family, I need to start rationing it soon!

That is a good bit of Bacon. I'll plan to try the Maple this week when I make Pancakes for supper...JJ

Whew what a nice haul sound like some nice eating coming your way for a while.

Thanks so much Warren. The idea is to make a bunch while making it so I won't have to go through it all again in a month :emoji_wink:

What do they say? "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

EXACTLY!! My concern with a wet brine is making sure I get enough cure in the brine. This was is foolproof...at least for me.

I was at 99 ranch couple weeks ago and bellies where $5.99 lb.

Wow Brian, that's crazy!! Maybe you need to come visit and we can hit Costco before you head back home

Robert

Never too much bacon! Great looking cook!!! I have never tried to make the bacon, but your posts sure makes me want to!

It's nice to have a good sized stash on hand. Making bacon is brainlessly easy Dave. There's nothing to it. You ought to give it a run. You'll never go back to store bought, I promise you that.

They look great Robert.

Thank you Rob!!

Absolutely can never have to much bacon, and all 3 types look excellent.

Very much appreciate it. The fun part about making bacon is that you're unlimited in flavor profiles you can create.

Robert

Here's my bacon

Show off :emoji_laughing: That's a pile of bacon for sure.

How is the maple flavor on your maple sugar piece? I’ve used it and it just tastes like sugar in the finish. No maple flavor.

It's not as pronounced as using the maple syrup but it is certainly there. Maybe doing two applications of the maple sugar brings it to life a little more. I honestly don't know but this really has a better balanced flavor profile than what I was doing before. Maybe you could try rubbing a little bit of maple extract onto the bellies if you're looking for more of the maple flavor. Just a thought...

Nice, Robert! Looks awesome bud!

Thanks so much Derek. I appreciate it sir.

Robert

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Good Lord, Robert!! What else can I say??

I think that pretty much says it all :emoji_wink:

Figure I'll cut back when I stop liking gravy, taters, and bread... oh and pasta!

Whew...I was scared for a minute. Sounds like you won't be cutting back on bacon any time soon :emoji_laughing:

I gotta try making the Jeff’s one someday.

The flavor is outstanding!! If you're doing a dry brine I'd recommend backing off with the salt that's calculated in the cure. The rub has salt in it and doing the full amount stated in the cure plus what's in the rub, it can be a bit too much.

I’m definitely making more once it cools. I’ve given a bunch away to family, I need to start rationing it soon

I'll share a pack or two with friends then tell them that if they want more, they can buy the bellies and I'll walk them through making it. I'm not greedy by any means but if you wanna enjoy homemade stuff then you gotta make it :emoji_astonished:

Robert

You also need to make either some bacon cheese burgers or BLT's. BTW, you owe me some pictures sir :emoji_wink:

I would love to make some BLT's. Just waiting on my neighbor to send over some nice tomatoes. I sent Casey an Email to send the pics, but these Millennials have no sense of urgency....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky