Is the Yoder YS640 worth $750 more than the RecTec Stampede?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

runway1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Socal
I don't mind spending the extra money, but it burns me if it's not worth it. The RecTec RT-590 Stampede is $900 with shipping. The Yoder YS640 is $1449, and I think another $200 to ship it. That's a $750 difference.

I know they're both great but has anyone seen the two together? Is there a $750 difference? Features are roughly the same. Which has the better value?

The Yoder is thicker but the RecTec is stainless. The warranty on the Stampede is 2 years. I think a better comparison would be the RecTec Bull vs the Yoder 640.

The Bull has a 6 year warranty, stainless cooking chamber, built in meat probes and wifi. The Yoder is a beast though and made in the US.

2 years ago I had it down to either the 640 or the RecTec 680 but I just couldn't spend $1700. I went with the RecTec.

The latter. Yes, one is American made, the other is not. One is heavier matl and well coated, but the other is stainless. Just wondering, with all these considerations, is one worth the $750 more than the other?

Maybe the RecTec Bull is a better comparison - it's $1200, shipped.

Well, in a side by side of the RecTec 590 & 700, the only difference is the size. Both have same stainless elements, both have same controller, dual probes, etc.

700 is bigger with 10# more in the hopper. Otherwise identical. I only need the 590 - so back at original question.

I was also told when I called the stampede used 430 stainless for the cooking grates and drip pan. The bull uses 304 stainless...

I got a Yoder 640 and I really like it. Warranty is 10 years on burn out, 3 years on electronics, 1 year on igniter.
It's a beast at 330 lbs. Add on's you'll probably want include the heat defuser with the door (this should have been standard & included with purchase), top shelf grate, searing/grill grates, cover, ........ and you're up to $2000 just like that. Then add thermometers in the doors......

Even though I really like my Yoder if I could hit the reset button I'd probably go with RecTec. So from a Yoder owner I'd say the extra cost is not justified?

Other than the extremely heavy construction of the Yoder, there is no technology that makes it work better or differently from the Rectec. Unless you are located far to the north and will be smoking in below zero temps, there is little benefit to just being thicker, heavier steel. Watching videos of guys with well used older Yoders, the high temperature paint does not seem to hold up well and would have to be refinished periodically. While a side burn pot, separated from the pellet auger, is safe from back burning pellets, your searing area over direct heat is very limited. The Rectec central burner would be better for grilling, but in the event of a positive pressure fan malfunction, you would have a fire in the feed tube and hopper. That would be a lot of feeder parts to replace. I think I would still go with the Rectec and keep an eye on things...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky