Is my ham safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ACrandall19

Original poster
Jan 21, 2022
I just cured and smoked my first ham. I just went by a recipe I found and advice from a friend. I wish I would have found this forum first. Anyway, it is a bone-in, 7 lb ham. Even though I cured it for 5 days, I have an I cured spot in the middle. Can I still eat it? I did not know about injecting until I started looking on the forum.

Attachments

• 840BC5E2-DF07-4791-97DF-8E5229BBC150.jpeg
    840BC5E2-DF07-4791-97DF-8E5229BBC150.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 39
I just cured and smoked my first ham. I just went by a recipe I found and advice from a friend. I wish I would have found this forum first. Anyway, it is a bone-in,7 lb ham. Even though I cured it for 5 days, I have an I cured spot in the middle.gb whatsapp Can I still eat it? I did not know about injecting until I started looking on the forum.
The general rule is no longer than 4 hours total out in the danger zone temperatures including the time before and after cooking, but of course there are situations to which this does not apply. Consider "Pancetta" (Italian Bacon). That meat is cured then hung up to dry at room temperature for 5 to 7 days.

Last edited:
The ham looks ok. The core does not look completely grey? Maybe pale pink? 5 days on a ham without injection is a no go.

Tell me about your curing process so we can get a better idea of salt % and cure #1 %.

What temp did you smoke at, what was the internal temp when you pulled it. Usually your nose will let you know if it's no good.

I just cured and smoked my first ham. I just went by a recipe I found and advice from a friend. I wish I would have found this forum first. Anyway, it is a bone-in, 7 lb ham. Even though I cured it for 5 days, I have an I cured spot in the middle. Can I still eat it? I did not know about injecting until I started looking on the forum.
Ok, given that this is an old thread. For the posterity of the forum, for those who may later search this thread or stumble upon it. I’d like to give an answer to the original question.

As long as the final internal temp on pork was at least 145F and the cure #1 was at 0.25% to meat weight, and as long as salt percentage to meat weight was at least 1.5% , this ham was safe. Maybe not cured all through, but 5 days with no injection is not near enough time to cure a whole ham.

So if you are new and stumbled on to this thread, ask here ( on the forum) before you start the curing process. We will start you off on any number of processes that will produce a solid pink ham that is in fact safe.

Don’t just do. Ask first and then do. We have your back.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky