Is It Just Me...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bud J

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2020
I would like to get opinions from the community on taste of bbq food.
I have been cooking for over 45 years, grilling for just as many and bbq’ing for about twenty.

Many, many foods seem to taste better a day (or few) later....especially bbq.

For this topic, I would like to keep it in bbq/smoking. No matter what I make, the food seems to taste good right out of the smoker, but tastes a LOT better the next day or two.

Whether it’s chicken, ABT, jerky, even a pasta dish made traditionally, it seems to taste better later. I realize that some will say its because the food has had a chance for the flavors to meld together; but is that REALLY the a reason...or is just me? Am I just a left-over junky?

Heres an example. I made jerky for the first time a few months ago. A couple hours out of the smoker it was good. Decent flavor and spice. A few days later from the fridge it was GREAT! Incredible flavor. Is this the norm for bbq or “Is it just me?”

If you are doing the smoking/grilling, you become desensitized to the taste because of smelling all the smoke during the cook, that is one reason why it tastes better the next day for you...
Could explain also why anytime I do a big cook for family I do not eat at all...no appetite. But next day....watch out!

For me, some things are absolutely better the next go round. Red beans, chili, spaghetti & bbq come to mind.

But that’s not the case for everything. For example, I absolutely can make myself sick on pizza hot out of a brick oven; leftover it just isn’t the same, no matter what I do (even w stones).

The flavors and smoke tend to meld or marry after a day or two and seem to enhance the flavors throughout the foods. That has been my experience

Interesting thread. I never put much thought into the smoke desensitizing you but it makes sense. I usually chalked it up to the fact that I will eat a bit here and there while cooking(I have ribs on right now, and already ate the trimmings since they were done way quicker) so I'm not super hungry by the end, but I've even noticed leftovers I'll freeze taste awesome a couple months later. I like to vaccum seal 2-3 bone chunks of ribs, and every time I go to reheat them it's amazing to me just how good they are. Its probably because I'm no longer desensitized to the smell/taste.

One big thing with us cooks is that we desensitize our sense of smell in the kitchen and especially at the smoker/grill. Our ability to smell is a major role player in how we taste.
So we often sit down to dinner with a handicap when it comes to fully enjoying it, especially since that desensitization is focused towards whatever we've been cooking/smelling.
The next day is like magic to us since our taste is now enhanced.

Reactions: Bud J
Any food with a smell, especially Smoked.
Maybe if you could pull all the hairs out of your nose.
I'll bet that would feel good----I'll stick to blowing my nose a few times before eating---That Helps a lot !!

Bear
I’m getting so old that even my nose hair is turning white...maybe THATS the problem. 😉

It's called Nose Blind. A cigarette smokers house smells normal to the family but guests may cringe at the strong smell. Much of Low and Slow cooking is the same. Soup, Chili, Stew, Tomato Sauce. Taste better a day out. About 6 years ago, I started cooking the Thanksgiving Turkey a day or two out. The meat is sliced and panned with Gravy. On Thursday , sides are finished, the meat reheated and we eat an hour later. No smelling or tasting for seasoning all day! Now the family and especially myself, enjoy it more...JJ

My wife doesn't get anywhere near the smoking or grilling equipment to get nose blind or smoker shock.
She loves FRESH off the Weber grill or smoker (currently a pellet pooper that I enhance with a pellet tube).
Leftovers is a "(expletive deleted) NO and you get to eat them".
I do notice the charcoal or smoke flavor is better with leftovers, so obviously getting the smoker shock from cooking the first meal.

For me - it's the exact opposite. I detect the distinct unpleasantness of a phenominon known as warmed over flavor. Not all meat hits me with it - but anything cooked to less than well done (steak) or ground but not cured (burgers and meatloaf UNLESS I cook the meatloaf to a very high internal (think 175) has this horrible taste to me. I cannot stand chicken - whether roasted, baked, or fried after even a few hours. Turkey is the same way. Only saving grace for either chicken or turkey is as a stew

THANK GOD I don't get this with most smoked meats. Brisket I can eat on for a week, pulled pork is 2 days, maybe 3 before it starts turning funky.

I'm just unlucky enough to be one of those folks https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/08/what-is-warmed-over-flavor-leftover-chicken-meat.html

Reminds me of my dad (RIP). He hated leftovers but never could tell me why. I almost NEVER cook for just one meal.

I cannot stand chicken - whether roasted, baked, or fried after even a few hours. Turkey is the same way.
So interesting. Dad again. I don't think I ever saw him eat poultry. Says the Navy ruined him on it. When he served (Korean War), he told stories of the lower enlisted men eating from slop troughs in the mess on the carrier.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I’m not only the same day but at the perfect time from cook as the best tasty BBQ.....my wife will eat fresh BBQ but will not partake in lefter overs because of the texture and flavor change. The exception for me is pork belly and dino ribs. These both benefit from a smoke a re-smoke the next day or so.

I mean for pulled pork or brisket there is nothing better than the taste test first or second slice or first pork pull after the appropriate rest time! The moisture content, rendered fat, and texture is perfection at that point. I think the flavor can start dropping the second it hits the plate.....ie because the evaporation and chilling from the colder plate....we often warm our pates to 100 degree to offset that as well.

My wife doesn't get anywhere near the smoking or grilling equipment to get nose blind or smoker shock.
She loves FRESH off the Weber grill or smoker (currently a pellet pooper that I enhance with a pellet tube).
I think your wife and mine are twins. Mine has such a dislike for some types of bbq leftovers she doesn’t even want the in the kitchen when the reheat..........

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky