Intro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So update---I have done 4 fires so far. Two of them were cooks. I admit to still struggling with fire management and maintaining a semi-constant temperature. I am thinking that part of this is the size of the logs/splits I have been using, so I am going to purchase a hand ax/camp ax size and attempt to manage a somewhat consistent size. Also--the first cook, I think I used not enough lump charcoal to start and the second cook, too much. Two things to work on.
:-)
I'm going to hold off on that nice brisket I bought and try a pork loin that the wife picked up.

Took a break what with weather and stuff....4.58 pound pork loin just went on the Oklahoma Joe. A homemade rub of black pepper, garlic, chili powder and paprika. I prepped it with 'shire sauce before the rub.
Wood: post oak and apple.
IMG_8805.png
IMG_8806.png

I thought brisket usually stalled at around 150, but this one has taken an hour to go from 183 to 187 and the Smoker temp is 235. Kinda thinking I want the bark to firm up more before wrapping.
What do you think?

Looks perfect to me. Nice and juicy!
THe wife tasted it and went--WOW!--and the pup did a flip mid-air.
Success! She was a bit skeptical that this off-set would do better than the WSM, but she gets its now.
Indirect Wood fire is the best!
What a blast.

Reactions: TNJAKE
ON fire management. It seems the size of the splits is the key. Not too big and not too small, but 'just right'.
:-)
That and leaving the main chamber lid cracked open on this occasions when the heat rises too much.
Still learning, but its definitely an art. Also--I like the way apple wood coals up.
I am open to any tips on this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky