Internal temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pikador

Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
North Central FL
Hi folks!

I am new to smoking and I just ran into an issue with my MES 30. I was smoking some pork spareribs and a large pork loin cut in half. I used Everglades Cactus Dust rub on the pork loin and another commercial rub on the ribs. Using a Maverick thermometer. Well, here's the issue. The internal temp for the loin hah been at 140-145 for like an hour. I pulled the ribs after about 2.5-3 hours and they seem great. They didn't quite pull. Apart and the meat and the juice is pinkish. They taste great though. Now, what should I do with the pork loin. Should I wrap in foil?? I was trying t get it to about 160..

Thank you!

You should let everything cook longer. Your ribs had too much tug because you need to leave them in longer. Your pork will get there - just be patient until it hits your temp.

You can wrap if you want. I prefer not to. Dealer's choice.

Ok, thank you. How much longer do you think? The books that i have say 3 hours for pork loin (e.g., Smoke and Spice). But the books are not written for the MES smoker specifically, of course.

Yes, they mentioned 160 but they also said "about 3 hours". This is for a full loin, not a butterflied one. The MES smoker has a thermometer and I set it to 220 (book recommends 200-220). This is also what my Maverick thermometer showed for the BBQ temperature/probe. I stuck the "food" probe deep in the pork loin and the temperature was going up fine until it reached 140. Then it took about an hour to reach 145. So, I pulled the loin out after 4 hours and I will finish it in the oven in the morning. Just trying to figure out why the internal temp plateaued at such a low temperature...

Thank your for your prompt responses, Bama BBQ!

No a prob my friend. IMHO, it stalled at a low temp because you're cooking at a low temp. At a higher temp I don't believe you would find it stall as long or at as low a temp.

I would think of the pit as an outdoor oven. I my mind you moved it from one oven to another one.

I like to use 250 as my pit baseline and go from there.

Last edited:
Great! Thank you for the tip! I will try 250 next time.
BTW, i did my first chicken a week ago (my first smoke ever) at 275 and it turned out awesome! This was based on a Youtube video by Masterbuilt.
I will post some pics tomorrow. (Also wondering why pics/photos are called Qview here).
:grilling_smilie:

Whoa!! Pork loin, or pork shoulder?? If pork loin, you should take that cut to 145. Pork loin and pork tenderloin is a slicing cut. Pork shoulder, Pork picnic is a pulling cut and should be taken to 200-205, unless you are curing and smoking for a ham. If you take a loin to 200 you'll be eating leather. Even the old standard of (shutter) 165 is dry!

When you hit 140, you should have pulled it and foiled, let it rest for 30-45 mins. Then sliced. Assuming it was a loin.

I too pull Pork Loin at 140° and rest. I like juicy with just a bit of Blush. Anything over 150° will risk being dry. However it depend on who is eating. Lots of Old Time Folks, my 85 year old Mom, grew up on very well done pork and is put off by pink pork. Three hours on Pork  Ribs at 225° or less is Half Done. They won't hurt you but not had the time to be all they can be...JJ

Last edited:
Well, I was just following the recipe in Smoke and Spice. Pork loin, internal temp of 160. Then I also saw that this is the recommended temperature to kill salmonella. I sliced it and it seemed done at 145 but the meat was pinkish. Will post Qview in a couple hours.

Three hours on Pork  Ribs at 225° or less is Half Done. They won't hurt you but not had the time to be all they can be...JJ

Ok, I think I've learned my lesson! :) what pit temp would you recommend for the ribs and do you even measure the internal temp with ribs given that it's a lot of bone? How long do you keep them in the pit then?

Thanks, folks! I am learning a LOT! The kind of stuff that books don't tell you!

Ok, I think I've learned my lesson! :) what pit temp would you recommend for the ribs and do you even measure the internal temp with ribs given that it's a lot of bone? How long do you keep them in the pit then?

Thanks, folks! I am learning a LOT! The kind of stuff that books don't tell you!
Since the MES 30 is a bit smaller, you will likely have to cut the Racks in half, you want the meat a couple inches from the walls for good convection. Put what will fit on each grate...

I use two techniques for Ribs. Since my MES will only go to 275°, I will Smoke straight through for 4 hours or until a toothpick slides in easily. No need to measure IT....OR...If I have the time I will go 3-2-1 on Spare Ribs, with the Foiling Juice...

A full rack of Spare Ribs will take about 6 hours at 225*F...The 3-2-1 smoked rib recipe is a good way to smoke ribs and tends to turn out perfect ribs every time whether you are using the meatier Full rack spare rib or the Saint Louis cut. Baby Back ribs use a 2-2-1 method. The ribs are smoked at 225 - 250 degrees for best results...
The 3 stands for the 3 hours that you initially smoke the ribs with nothing but your favorite rub on them and some smoke with your favorite hardwood such as hickory, apple, pecan, etc. After the 3 hours you remove the ribs and quickly double wrap them in heavy duty foil.. just before you seal them up add some Foiling Juice or Apple Juice and close the foil leaving some room around the ribs for the steam to be able to flow around the meat and the juice to braise the meat which Flavors/Tenderizes it.

The ribs cook in the smoker wrapped for 2 hours undisturbed. There is no need for Smoke at this point... After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker, unwrap and place back into the smoker for the final 1 hour, with smoke if you wish.This firms them up, creates a nice Bark and finishes the cooking process. You can add a glaze or sauce at this point if you like. The meat will be pretty close to fall off the bone and be extremely juicy, tender and flavorful...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

Three hours on Pork  Ribs at 225° or less is Half Done. They won't hurt you but not had the time to be all they can be...JJ

I use the 3:2:1 method for loin back ribs and 2:2:1 for spare ribs. (I run my smoker at 225 for ribs.) The first thing I do is remove the membrane from the ribs and then put a rub on them.  The 3:2:1 method is 3 hours in open smoke then foil the ribs with some kind of liquid like apple juice or butter etc. The ribs will braise in the foil for 2 hours. After 2 hours of foiling, drain the juice and remove the ribs from the foil. Put the ribs back on for 1 hour without foil and the ribs will firm up and get a nice bark on them. Total of 6 hours for loin back with smoker at 225.

For loins I use the thermometer and pull at 140-142 and let them rest. I also smoke at 225 for loins.

Thank you!!! This is very detailed and so very helpful. I will follow this method from now on. I will finish them in a regular oven this time...

Also, folks, these ribs that are half done after 3 hours in the MES and no foiling were actually more tender than most ribs I've had at BBQ restaurants. Love my new smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky