1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Interest thread for a group buy for piemento pellets

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by zwiller, Mar 19, 2019.

1. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Curious if a few other members might want to go in on a 20lb bag. I have tried multiple times to get them to sell me smaller quantities to no avail. I think 3 other guys for 5lbs but I could also possibly break down even smaller. Ball park cost is: $80 shipped to me. So like $20 plus ship for 5lbs. No idea of shipping yet but will try flat rate USPS guess is medium $15. All money done via paypal.

JC in GB likes this.
  2. nearthegrove

nearthegrove Newbie

I'd be down for 5 lbs.

zwiller likes this.
  3. zwiller

Vacation bump

4. I'm up for a 5 pound purchase, but payment would be a personal check (in advance once the buy is a go) as I don't use paypal.
    Is this for 100% pimento wood pellets or "you guess the blend" product?

Fell in love with "jerk" when I was in the Cayman Islands 30 years ago. Tried duplicating, but never the same.
    After enlightened by Michael Symon that old school smoking is a regional event based on the native woods, the light bulb flickered (too old for a full light?).

zwiller likes this.
  5. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

I'm in for 5 lb. Let me know the details and we can set up payment.

zwiller likes this.
  6. zwiller

@Fueling Around Check is fine.
    @JC in GB Glad to have you!

COOP is filled. Thank you gents. I'll order and reach out via PM for payments/etc.

It is a blend per the site made from Pimento Wood, Logwood and Oak. I recall that piemento is very dense hardwood so it would probably not work alone and doubt jerk pitmasters use 100% piemento. The use of logwood is interesting and "legit" as it is also native. No oak grows over there but likely the source is of old rum barrels. I am of the opinion some research was done to ensure the pellet is pretty close to the real thing but also will give good results for pellet grills. Some guys can't tell the difference in wood choice but I certainly can but very curious if it is worth paying $5/lb for.

I am totally fired up for jerk. Was vacationing in Kissimmee for a week and 85F a few days.

JC in GB likes this.
  7. zwiller

Ordered the pellets. There are expensive but stung a lot less than Disney did...

JC in GB and Fueling Around like this.
  8. nearthegrove

nearthegrove Newbie

Excited, bought the book by Willinsky (Jerk From Jamaica) for $5.00 on EBay used but perfect condition. Jerk cooking here I come!

zwiller likes this.
  9. Thank you for organizing this group purchase.
    Happy I saw it in time to participate.
    I'm hoping to stretch out the pellet consumption with a AMNTS (tube smoker).

I missed the Kissimmee part and just saw Florida and warmth, which got a ... response you don't need to know. I'm sure you're also part of "this has been a tough winter" and needed to escape.

Daughter worked at Disney World (Cast Member) for 3 summers during college. That took out a lot of the "sting" when we drove down to tour the parks then bring her home.

I've got a lot of tips on reducing the cost to visit Mickey, if you're interested. My family has been there so many times I lost count.

JC in GB and zwiller like this.
  10. zwiller

Good deal. I always do used like new on Amazon. I have been reading it again and there are 3 "takes" on jerk in there. There's a paste, a marinade, and a rub. Willinsky points out that jerk is made many ways. I used the marinade on the pork I grilled. I plan to try jerk pork with the paste (a little more simple but similar to the marinade) with my first run with the pellets. Hope to do a write up.

11. zwiller

They're here! There is definitely an exotic smell coming from the package... Did not expect that. Will break down, weigh and get some shipping options so I can get the PMs going.

20190405_163859_resized (2).jpg

JC in GB likes this.
  12. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

Nice. Can't wait to give those a try.

zwiller likes this.
  13. zwiller

PM's coming soon!

20190411_184605_resized.jpg

JC in GB likes this.
  14. Those pellets are getting some mileage. Minnesota to Ohio and back to Minnesota.
    Never realized the distributor is a few hours away.
    But still glad to be part of a group buy to try them.
    Got a couple of good friends in town that are pellet heads and I want to torture them with what I can do with a stick burner and a few pellets
    Thanks again Sam