Instant Pot Burning Everything

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kvgsqtii

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 28, 2022
SC
We have had our 8qt Instant Pot Duo (IP-DUO80 V2) for a few years now and it has just recently started burning nearly everything I try and cook in it. Amount of liquid in the pot doesn't seem to effect the outcome. The last few things I have made have had to come out and be cooked either in the oven or on the stove top. Not looking forward to having to buy another one and wondered if anyone else has had this issue and if there is a fix for it. It seems to me that the element is getting too hot or staying on too long.

seeing one issue might be that the lid is not sealing correctly. Don't know if there's a gasket of some type to check?

I just washed it out and started it with just water. Can't burn that, right...
seeing one issue might be that the lid is not sealing correctly. Don't know if there's a gasket of some type to check?
There is a silicone gasket in the lid. I just pulled it and inspected and it appears to be in good condition, not dried out, cracked or nicked. It also seems to be coming up to pressure and sealing properly.
The computer board might be going bad. Good excuse for a new one!
Might be an excuse to bust out the multimeter and logic probe and channel lost knowledge from all of my EE classes.

Reactions: old sarge
Came right up to pressure and didn't burn the water

if it didn't go over pressure and release, then I think the temperature sensor is working correctly.

Have you noticed that it is taking longer to pressurize between starting and when it starts to countdown? You hear no leaking of steam at any point? Does the silicone seal fit tightly or does it spin easily?

Have you noticed that it is taking longer to pressurize between starting and when it starts to countdown? You hear no leaking of steam at any point? Does the silicone seal fit tightly or does it spin easily?
I don't notice it taking any longer than normal, each time is different though depending on ingredient temp, whether I sautéed in it, how much liquid there is. It did leak some steam out the vent this last time with just water. I pulled the vent apart and cleaned it with a q-tip, but otherwise the valve and seat looked to be in good shape. The silicone seal spins freely, just like when it was new.

Does this happen mostly after you have sauteed something?
If so, then the most likely cause is that there is still enough stuff stuck on the bottom of the inner pot.
Even a thin layer can inhibit the boiling action which then prevents the pressure from building up.
Yet, the IP will continue to heat up and the timer will begin the countdown without the unit pressurizing at all. Also, the bottom portion on the oustide of the unit will get hot to the touch, but the top portion will not be as hot.
Deglazing with stock, wine, or water and scrapping the bottom of the inner pot really well helps to prevent this from happening.
Another culprit is thick sauces like chili and other thick sauce recipes and especially tomato sauces.

Stu

So, following up. I went to town on the bottom of the pot with Bar Keeper's Friend and a scotchbrite pad and got it shining like new. Haven't had any issues since, but we also haven't made anything thick or with tomatoes.

So, following up. I went to town on the bottom of the pot with Bar Keeper's Friend and a scotchbrite pad and got it shining like new. Haven't had any issues since, but we also haven't made anything thick or with tomatoes.
Thanks for the update. Good info as many of us own IP’s.

Good deal.
Another trick for recipes that have thick sauces is to let it boil for a few minutes without the lid while stirring all the way down to the bottom.
I had to do exactly that for last Friday's super thick chili. It took me three tries before the IP would pressurize. Also, if you need to add a thickener to a sauce, do it after cooking.

Stu

Reactions: Lonzinomaker
My first cook or so we were dumb and didn't have the valve pointed the right way. Somehow it would act like it got up to pressure but in reality a lot of liquid was boiling out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky