Injected butt question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
I told a friend that I would be running my smoker today so if he wanted he could buy some meat and throw it on there. Last minute change of plans led to two 7.5 lb butts on right now. I have never injected any meats before so I bought the Tony C Creole Butter and injected one of the butts with that. I read that if you inject then the temp has to get to 140 within four hours of cooking. I just passed hour three and my temp is at 123.  The smoker is holding at around 280. What happens if I am not quite at 140 by the four hours? Will I kill myself and anyone else who eats the final product?

Your fine. At a pit temp of 280 you will hit 140 in 4 hours easily, if you miss it by a bit it's still ok.

Al

Good advice above.  

Also, since it looks like you're a level headed cook, I feel certain that you started with a clean injector and followed the directions on what to do.  Time to plan supper!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky