Increasing heat for a gas grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pmarc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
There are 225 pin holes in the burners in my gas grill. But it takes too long to reach 450 deg and opening the top loses 100 deg immediately.

Thinking about drilling out the pin holes to increase gas flow. What think?

The grill uses natural gas from the city line.

Were the grill's orifices swapped out to NG versions from LP or did the grill come correctly plumbed for NG? Same question for the regulator?

Hardware was substituted for the comventional propane setup. I think including the regulator but I cant remember. But probably since there was a second kit for NG.

Last edited:
Even with the conversion to NG, the grill probably will never get as hot as the propane version. The Weber NG and Propane grills of the same model are rated at the same BTU. But I have the factory delivered NG version and it doesn't get as hot as fast as my friends propane version.

When I need it to get hotter for when I use a griddle, I remove the flavorizors.

I appreciate your help but it doesn't answer my inquiry. It's an engineering question.

I wouldn’t just go drilling more holes in the burner, they were engineered to be what they are and it doesn’t take much drilling for things to go south. Converting to LP could help with this issue but so would buying a higher BTU natural gas grill.

As for dropping 100deg instantly is that at the grate level or are you reading the temp in the lid?

I wouldn’t just go drilling more holes in the burner, they were engineered to be what they are and it doesn’t take much drilling for things to go south. Converting to LP could help with this issue but so would buying a higher BTU natural gas grill.

As for dropping 100deg instantly is that at the grate level or are you reading the temp in the lid?

I acknowledge the original design. And its a scary idea to alter it. At the lid.

I would check the temp at the grate level, you may be worrying about a problem that isn’t that big of a deal in reality.
As far as modifying the existing burners I wouldn’t modify them in any way, they were engineered to be exactly what they are, making bigger holes is probably not the answer. The orifices in the gas controls (knobs) would have to be modified to allow more gas into the burner, the air inlet may need to be modified to get enough air for more gas etc.

I would check the temp at the grate level, you may be worrying about a problem that isn’t that big of a deal in reality.
As far as modifying the existing burners I wouldn’t modify them in any way, they were engineered to be exactly what they are, making bigger holes is probably not the answer. The orifices in the gas controls (knobs) would have to be modified to allow more gas into the burner, the air inlet may need to be modified to get enough air for more gas etc.

Temp at grate. Thats good thinking. Probably exaggerated at the lid. Agree prob have to reverse-engineer more than the burner. Anyone need a used grill?

Reactions: JJS
To your original thought of drilling more holes, no it will not increase the heat and may make the burn worse and lower temperature.
Increasing temperature with natural gas requires forced air induction.
and opening the top loses 100 deg immediately.
Don't open the top until you are ready to plop the food quickly. I do that with my kettle as it loses all dome temp. Luckily with lump charcoal (very hot) it regains heat quickly.

To your original thought of drilling more holes, no it will not increase the heat and may make the burn worse and lower temperature.
Increasing temperature with natural gas requires forced air induction.
Don't open the top until you are ready to plop the food quickly. I do that with my kettle as it loses all dome temp. Luckily with lump charcoal (very hot) it regains heat quickly.

Whats a high BTU gas grill that's smaller than the Webber Genesis line? I dont need storage, big grilling surface, nor work space. Money not an issue.

Whats a high BTU gas grill that's smaller than the Webber Genesis line? I dont need storage, big grilling surface, nor work space. Money not an issue.
I think what makes the Weber Genesis line unique is the BTU-per-bottom-grill-area is the highest. That watt-per-area (heat flux) number is what you want if you want high temp quickly.
So if cost is no object, what's wrong with a Genesis II S-310? It comes in a NG version, ready to go. There's no storage, and without the side shelves, it's only ~32" wide.

I think what makes the Weber Genesis line unique is the BTU-per-bottom-grill-area is the highest. That watt-per-area (heat flux) number is what you want if you want high temp quickly.
So if cost is no object, what's wrong with a Genesis II S-310? It comes in a NG version, ready to go. There's no storage, and without the side shelves, it's only ~32" wide.

Nope. Nothing will fit. I have a Fuego. Nice design, simple, very small footprint. But the cook time is waaay too long. Zwiller, thanx for that Weber spec and the BBQ thermodynamics. LOL ... BTW is it actually possible to find watt-per-area (heat flux) numbers for grills? Is this metric better than BTU?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky