Inconsistent Hickory? Newbie seeking knowledge...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caliperson

Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
I bought a bag of hickory chips from the store, and liked it quite a bit when I was experimenting with different woods. 

I went out and bought a bag of chunks (a different brand), so they would last longer, and the first chunk I used had a weird smoke scent that reminded me of bug-spray and sawdust.  I thought maybe the meat would taste o.k., but it tasted just like it smelled unfortunately.

Wondering if it was a fluke, I tested other chunks from the new bag.  One two-toned chunk smelled like cherry to me on the darker wood part of the chunk, then the lighter half smelled like generic unpleasant burnt wood.  A third chunk actually smelled like I expect hickory to smell. 

What is going on here, is this kind of inconsistency normal in bagged wood chunks/chips?  The wood is definitely not green, it has probably been sitting on the shelf in the store for a long time.

(Using an electric smoker by the way, thats why only 1 chunk at a time)

Last edited:
That is not normal.

Where did you buy the wood?

Home Depot & Lowe's both have extensive supplies of chunks & chips.

I would try there.

Walmart also has a large supply.

Al

It's a pretty common brand from a big chain type of store.

I tested more of the chunks from the same bag last night, and I'd say, for me, maybe 1/3 smelled like hickory, 1/3 ( lighter colored chunks) had a nasty burnt sawdust and chemically scent, and the rest (darker chunks) smelled and looked VERY similar to cherry.  I also have a bag of apple from the same brand that is better, but still seemed lower quality than other stuff I've used, not much character in the flavor or scent.  I'm not gonna name names, but I'm going to use it all for firewood and avoid the brand for awhile.  It makes me wonder about quality control and what goes on at the factory.

Last edited:
 I made ribs that sucked a couple weeks ago and thought it was my technique, now I'm thinking it was just bad wood.  I'm using the bad wood for firewood, and got a bag of hickory from a different brand:  much better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky