In Need Of Some Techy Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I want to set up another router, would like wireless wifi in 2.4ghz.
My daughter has the google mesh wifi hooked up.
From what i read the google mesh is 2.4 & 5 ghz. Couple of my wifi items work better on 2.4. (like my weather station app on my phone)
The google setup say to just go further out from the wifi to hook up to your app on phone? Dont happen.
20211021_104201.jpg

Here is the problem.

Only 1 ethernet port on the modem.
20211021_104227.jpg

What do i need to give me another ethernet port or a few of em?

You can buy a Ethernet splitter, it will give you 6 ports, or 4 ports, or whatever you need. You just plug your one cable into the in side & plug as many things as you want into the other side. Easy Peazy!
Al

Thanks Al.

Would that be the same thing as a ethernet switch with 5 ports?

A switch or hub will work. A switch can give better performance. Get good quality CAT 6 cables.

Most internet connected home devices (switches, thermostats, plugs, security) use only the 2.4 ghz frequency. 2.4 ghz gives better range although it is slower than the 5 ghz radio. For these devices, fast speeds offered by 5 ghz is not an issue since they don’t send a lot of data.

I looked at your router online. I think it has both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: schlotz
Yes, I am pretty sure you can use a simple ethernet switch for that purpose.... Just make sure to connect a cable from your router to uplink port of your switch. The uplink port should be identified on the switch you use...

I'm not fully following what you are trying to do, but if you are looking for a simple switch I recommend this. It is cheap and works very well. I use one of these in my entertainment setup for the Apple TV, Xbox, Receiver, and TV Tuner.

Another thing to look at - the mesh routers usually have a couple of network ports on them, probably labeled 1 and 2.

You can connect port 1 to the router, then take whatever is plugged in to the router now and connect it to port 2.

You will probably want to put one of the routers (either the router from the cable company, or the google mesh) into bridge mode, otherwise it will create two separate networks within your house.

Thanks Al.

Would that be the same thing as a ethernet switch with 5 ports?

Here's the ethernet switch I buy and works like a charm, no issues ever.

I imagine the 5 port and the less expensive ones probably work just as well.

This will give you enough ports if you need more ports.
Can't help too much with the mesh, the distance thing, etc. having a switch is handy no matter what :)

Reactions: mcokevin
Thanks everyone.

I ended up getting a netgear 5 port switch for $24.99

Next is the wifi router which is more $$

The google wifi only has 1 port

Thanks everyone.

I ended up getting a netgear 5 port switch for $24.99

Next is the wifi router which is more $$

The google wifi only has 1 port

Before you get the wifi router you will want to ensure that it is on the list of supported wifi routers by your Internet Service Provider.

In Texas the Spectrum provider has a list of supported wifi routers somewhere on their website. I'm just trying to help you ensure you don't buy a router that you then have to return :D

For general info.
Internet comes to your home wall and will go in one of the two following ways:

1. Home wall -> Modem->Router->Device
2. Home wall -> Modem->Router->Switch->Device

I hope all this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky