Improvised Chicken Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
I was really excited to fire up my kettle for the first time ever on Sunday. I acquired it about 12 years ago from my girlfriend's (now wife) neighbor on moving day after graduation. I'm a hoarder, so I saved it from the dumpster. I never really had the urge to cook with charcoal until I ended up on this website, so it just bounced around with us every time we moved. Scraped out the old baked on gunk and bought new grates. I was ready to go.

I was in the mood for garlic parm. I usually make a butter mixture with minced garlic and shredded parm to toss them in before serving. But after all these years, the wife finally decided to tell me that she doesn't like sauce on her wings because they make them soggy. Fair enough, but you could have mentioned that a decade ago. So I decided to go with a dry rub.

Dried and up to room temp:
20220206_134227.jpg

1 Tbs garlic powder
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs baking powder (for crispy skin)
20220206_134301.jpg

Tossed and resting while I heated up the grill:
20220206_134807.jpg

Well I got the Weber all set and started to get it heated up. Thats when I noticed the distinct small of burning mouse pee. I was absolutely bummed. I guess I was so excited to use it, that it never dawned on me that its been sitting in the back corner of garages and storage units for over a decade. I'll get the it cleaned out the next time I have a chance, but theres no way I was going to cook in that thing. And there was also no way I was going to get the big smoker up to temperature in 20° weather. At that point, I was getting ready to give up and get the oven going. They would have come out just fine, but I wanted that smokey flavor.

Thats when my wife reminded me that I had one of those boxes to put chips in for the gas grill. It took me a while to come around to the idea, because I really love that charcoal taste in wings. I was too stubborn to use the chip box, so I had to come up with a better way before giving in to the gas grill idea.

The far left burner on high was perfect to keep the temp in the 250-275 range. I had to turn on the second burner to keep it up once the sun went down. A chunk of apple wood over the burner smoldered perfect to get good smoke. Once it caught fully, I got some ugly smoke, so I switched it out for another chunk.
20220206_171133.jpg

One dumb mistake I made was I started out with the probe on the top rack and the wings on the bottom. I didn't realize how much of a temp difference there would be, even with the lid closed. But after an hour, I didn't see much happening with the skin, so I double checked and found the bottom grate was about 80-100° lower than the top. Kind of worked out though, because they really needed some time to get a little extra smoke.

So total, they went for about an hour at low heat and then another hour at my target temp, flipping every 20 minutes. My daughter came out to play in the snow, so I ended up losing track of the temp. It got a little higher than I planned, but still never hit much over 300°.

Pulled from the grill at about 170IT and sprinkled with some shredded parm:
20220206_181731.jpg

It didn't get as much of the pink coloring that I've gotten when I do them on charcoal, but they still had some good smoke flavor and they were easily the juiciest wings I've ever had. Plus, they were crispier than some of the wings that I've dusted in flour and deep fried.

This was meant to be a practice run on the Weber for the super bowl. But I was informed by the wife that this is how I'm supposed to make them for now on. I'll probably sneak a couple chunks of charcoal onto the gasser though for next weekend.
20220206_183626.jpg

That is quite a journey! Great wings, they look perfect! When you feel up to spending a little cash: Webber Kettle + Weber Gormet BBQ Hinged Grate + Vortex=perfect crispy wings! But you have a good thing going there, Id be stoked if I showed up to a Super Bowl party and those wings were being served!

Very, very good looking wings Nate!! Those are done the way I like them. Dry rub, no batter, and a nice crispy skin. Perfectly done right there. Sometimes though, our "mistakes" turn out to be be our preferred technique.

Fair enough, but you could have mentioned that a decade ago.

Women are like that, aren't they? At least she didn't yell at you for 10 years of disappointing wings :emoji_wink:

. I'll probably sneak a couple chunks of charcoal onto the gasser though for next weekend.

While reading through the thread, this was my thought. Then I saw you mention it. Yes, you can easily use charcoal instead of or along with the wood chunks.

Robert

Very, very good looking wings Nate!! Those are done the way I like them. Dry rub, no batter, and a nice crispy skin. Perfectly done right there. Sometimes though, our "mistakes" turn out to be be our preferred technique.

Women are like that, aren't they? At least she didn't yell at you for 10 years of disappointing wings :emoji_wink:

While reading through the thread, this was my thought. Then I saw you mention it. Yes, you can easily use charcoal instead of or along with the wood chunks.

Robert
Thanks.

I'll probably use this grill again next weekend for the game. But I'll probably use a chunks of charcoal along with the apple. And supplement with gas if I need a little extra heat. I just hope I don't spoil myself by being able to easily adjust temps with the twist of a knob.

That is quite a journey! Great wings, they look perfect! When you feel up to spending a little cash: Webber Kettle + Weber Gormet BBQ Hinged Grate + Vortex=perfect crispy wings! But you have a good thing going there, Id be stoked if I showed up to a Super Bowl party and those wings were being served!
The vortex is on the list. My plan for the weekend was a homemade vortex, but the wife decided that there were more important chores to be done.

Looks good. Adapt and overcome!
I did not know the baking powder trick for crispy skin, thanks.
I've been using baking powder for a while, but I never used this much. I always just did a light sprinkle and they never came out as crispy as I hoped. I'll probably stick to the 1 Tbs per dozen wings ratio. Seemed to work well.

Reactions: nicefly
I just hope I don't spoil myself by being able to easily adjust temps with the twist of a knob.

It's not spoiling yourself. It's utilizing the tools you have available to make the most efficient process out of what you do and still make it really good :emoji_wink: That's practicality, not spoilage.

Robert

It's not spoiling yourself. It's utilizing the tools you have available to make the most efficient process out of what you do and still make it really good :emoji_wink: That's practicality, not spoilage.

Robert
You see, I try to be as much of a traditionalist/purest as much as possible. And that's just the complete opposite of practical and efficient.

You see, I try to be as much of a traditionalist/purest as much as possible. And that's just the complete opposite of practical and efficient.

I see your point and in a lot of ways I'm a traditionalist also. There are times however that practical and efficient play an important role in life, even if it's just improvisation sometimes. As long as the desired result is achieved, there can be many different ways to go about it. You''ll see as many different ways to cook something here as there people cooking it and none are wrong. It's just a matter of what works for the individual. I will say though, some of the best looking wings I've ever seen have come off the Weber using the vortex as Jed mentioned. You want some sage advice, maybe our good friend sawhorseray sawhorseray will chime in. That guy is a wing master and the vortex is his mainstay. Show the man what you've done Ray :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky