Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I have been making my OFG Breakfast Sausage for years. It is based on Pop's recipe. I love it. However, I have a mental problem that makes me want to improve every dish I try. I thought about anything I thought could be better in the sausage.

I did have one thing. I have made the sausage with a fine grind and it has a good moistness but less chew. So, I tried grinding it coarser. It had a great chew but was more ground meat like thatn sausage like in moisture and texture. Over the years, I use a medium grind for a balance between these two results.

However, I wanted a great chew, moisture, and texture, not a compromise.

I decided to coarse grind all the pork and then beat 2/3 of the sausage to a pasty texture and then leave the other 1/3 coarse ground and mix it with the beaten paste. It worked! I love the texture and chew and this is now my go to method.

Here’s the whole process for the improved sausage.

I cut fatty pork shoulder into 1 inch cubes. I mixed a seasoning mix for the pork by weight. For each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of pork I mixed:

• 12.5 grams (0.44 ounces) salt
  • 2.2 grams (0.08 ounces) black pepper
  • 1.5 grams (0.06 ounces) fresh sage, finely chopped or 0.7 grams (0.03 ounces) dried sage
  • 0.65 grams (0.03 ounces) ground ginger
  • 1 gram (0.04 ounces) fresh thyme or 0.5 grams(0.02 ounces) dried thyme
  • 0.9 grams (0.04 ounces) dried ground chipotle
I tossed the cubes in the spices, covered the bowl and put it in the fridge overnight.

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 01.jpg

I put the meat on one layer on a tray and put it in the freezer until it formed a crusty surface. Then I ran it through the coarse plate on my KitchenAid. I put the pork in the fridge for an hour to chill.

Then I removed 1/3 of the ground meat from the rest and put it in the fridge.

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 02.jpg

I put the remaining 2/3 of the pork mixture in the bowl of my stand mixer with the paddle attached. I added 1/4 cup of ice water to the bowl. I mixed the meat on medium for 4 to 5 minutes. You are looking for the meat to get a pasty texture that sticks to the bowl and paddle.

I added the 1/3 of coarse ground sausage from the fridge and mixed them together by hand.

I put the meat in the fridge for an hour to chill.

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 03.jpg

I did a test fry to confirm the seasonings were right. They were perfect.

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 04.jpg

If you are making sausage patties, just shape them and freeze them. I wanted links.

I used my LEM stuffer and used 22 mm (3/4 inch) collagen casings to make the sausage. It took about 1.8 meters (6 feet) of casings. After stuffing, I pinched the sausages every 4 inches.

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 05.jpg

I cut at the pinches and put the sausages on a tray. I froze them solid and then vacuum sealed them for storage. If you don’t freeze them first the pressure from the vacuum sealer can flatten them.

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 06.jpg

Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 07.jpg

The Verdict

As I said, this method of grinding gave a great chew and texture. Try it with your favourite sausage recipe.

Disco

Attachments

• Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 04.jpg
    Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 04.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 05.jpg
    Improved OFG Breakfast Sausage 05.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 12
I will agree that grinding is more important than some folks realize. Although for some flavors, like bulk Italian, I stick with a coarse grind since it's used in a sauce or as a pizza topping. Some other flavors I will use about 20% finer grind for the same reasons you mentioned.... better bind and the mouth feel.

We make LOAF PAN MEATS some of which are sausage formulations, and for those we use a food processor. Next time I'm trying your suggestion on the paddle attachment on the KA mixer. Loaf pan meats need the 'pasty' texture you demonstrated, because they are essentially a sliceable sausage, denser than a meatloaf, but not quite emulsified. Plus.... the mixer will go much faster than a food processor. Good tip!

Excellent looking sausage and a fine recipe Disco, Like! I make a maple breakfast into patties so as not to put extra strain on my stuffer gears using the smaller sheep casings, and feel the patties might cook more evenly. RAY

Those are some good looking links . Nice work .

Thanks so much!

All Looks Great, Disco!!
One of My Favorite Taters too!
Like.

Bear

Thanks, Bear! I do like homefries!

I will agree that grinding is more important than some folks realize. Although for some flavors, like bulk Italian, I stick with a coarse grind since it's used in a sauce or as a pizza topping. Some other flavors I will use about 20% finer grind for the same reasons you mentioned.... better bind and the mouth feel.

We make LOAF PAN MEATS some of which are sausage formulations, and for those we use a food processor. Next time I'm trying your suggestion on the paddle attachment on the KA mixer. Loaf pan meats need the 'pasty' texture you demonstrated, because they are essentially a sliceable sausage, denser than a meatloaf, but not quite emulsified. Plus.... the mixer will go much faster than a food processor. Good tip!

Thanks for the input.

Excellent looking sausage and a fine recipe Disco, Like! I make a maple breakfast into patties so as not to put extra strain on my stuffer gears using the smaller sheep casings, and feel the patties might cook more evenly. RAY

My wife is with you, Ray. She prefers patties but I prefer links and this is one I usually win. She likes the sear on patties, I think links give a better texture. Of course, I'm right but don't tell her I said that!

Great looking links.

Thank you so much!

I like the ingredients and proportions. Interesting make-up. They look great. Do you have a preference of Fresh Herbs over Dry?...JJ

Thanks! I do think the fresh herbs have a little more taste but not enough to cry over.

Been a busy couple weeks, don't know how i missed this one.

This is why i wanted to get into smoking meats etc. Wanted to make my own sausages for me and kielbasa for Mona.
This is great with other info i have collected here in this forum.

Mona prefers patties ... so she can make breakfast sandwiches

Thanks Disco for the lesson with pictures. you go through a lot of work to make things how you want. Which is great, THANK YOU
this is bookmarked

David ( looks like I've got a busy couple weeks coming up prepping and smoking )

I have been making my OFG Breakfast Sausage for years. It is based on Pop's recipe. I love it. However, I have a mental problem that makes me want to improve every dish I try. I thought about anything I thought could be better in the sausage.

I did have one thing. I have made the sausage with a fine grind and it has a good moistness but less chew. So, I tried grinding it coarser. It had a great chew but was more ground meat like thatn sausage like in moisture and texture. Over the years, I use a medium grind for a balance between these two results.

However, I wanted a great chew, moisture, and texture, not a compromise.

I decided to coarse grind all the pork and then beat 2/3 of the sausage to a pasty texture and then leave the other 1/3 coarse ground and mix it with the beaten paste. It worked! I love the texture and chew and this is now my go to method.

I cut fatty pork shoulder into 1 inch cubes. I mixed a seasoning mix for the pork by weight. For each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of pork I mixed:

• 12.5 grams (0.44 ounces) salt
  • 2.2 grams (0.08 ounces) black pepper
  • 1.5 grams (0.06 ounces) fresh sage, finely chopped or 0.7 grams (0.03 ounces) dried sage
  • 0.65 grams (0.03 ounces) ground ginger
  • 1 gram (0.04 ounces) fresh thyme or 0.5 grams(0.02 ounces) dried thyme
  • 0.9 grams (0.04 ounces) dried ground chipotle
I tossed the cubes in the spices, covered the bowl and put it in the fridge overnight.

View attachment 496730

I put the meat on one layer on a tray and put it in the freezer until it formed a crusty surface. Then I ran it through the coarse plate on my KitchenAid. I put the pork in the fridge for an hour to chill.

Then I removed 1/3 of the ground meat from the rest and put it in the fridge.

View attachment 496731

I put the remaining 2/3 of the pork mixture in the bowl of my stand mixer with the paddle attached. I added 1/4 cup of ice water to the bowl. I mixed the meat on medium for 4 to 5 minutes. You are looking for the meat to get a pasty texture that sticks to the bowl and paddle.

I added the 1/3 of coarse ground sausage from the fridge and mixed them together by hand.

I put the meat in the fridge for an hour to chill.

View attachment 496732

I did a test fry to confirm the seasonings were right. They were perfect.

View attachment 496733

If you are making sausage patties, just shape them and freeze them. I wanted links.

I used my LEM stuffer and used 22 mm (3/4 inch) collagen casings to make the sausage. It took about 1.8 meters (6 feet) of casings. After stuffing, I pinched the sausages every 4 inches.

View attachment 496736

I cut at the pinches and put the sausages on a tray. I froze them solid and then vacuum sealed them for storage. If you don’t freeze them first the pressure from the vacuum sealer can flatten them.

View attachment 496737

View attachment 496738

The Verdict

As I said, this method of grinding gave a great chew and texture. Try it with your favourite sausage recipe.

Disco
wow!!! I think outside the box when mixing and balancing herbs and spices.. but this grinding process you did is my first try after being away from processing for over a decade... good to know that you do weight measures!!!

wow!!! I think outside the box when mixing and balancing herbs and spices.. but this grinding process you did is my first try after being away from processing for over a decade... good to know that you do weight measures!!!
Actually, I do a lot of volume measures for the followers on my blog. When I do weight only measures, I get major whining from people who don't have a small scale.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky