• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I'm thinking about picking up a Broil King Baron 500 Pellet Grill. Should a grab the Asurion 4 year warranty too?

psychobrew

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 5, 2008
As the title states. I do have back issues so having someone come out to fix any issues for me would be a huge plus. I'm just not sure how easy Asurion is to deal with.

As far as the grilol itself goes, I found a good deal on it, it has most of the features I want (just not the direct grill sear mode), and it's not made in China.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I can say that for me anything that costs quite a bit and relies on electronics merits buying the extended warranty.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
I know nothing about Broil King but make sure you read the fine print of what you get in the warranty. They may not come out to your house to fix things?

psychobrew

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 5, 2008
I know nothing about Broil King but make sure you read the fine print of what you get in the warranty. They may not come out to your house to fix things?
They warranty claims they come out but I decided against the warranty in the end. I originally ordered it at an amazing price but I forgot to buy it through Amazon Smile so I cancelled it to re-order through Smile instead (I wanted to give a few dollars to a charity). Unfortunately, they had raised the price a good bit between when I added the product to my cart and when I cancelled it so I didn't re-order it at first, but I did keep checking the price and finally re-ordered it somewhere between the original price and the price it was raised to. I decided I can just pay a neighbor to fix it if something goes wrong so I saved the difference by not buying the warranty when I ordered it the second time. Still an amazing deal and I can't wait to get it.

And best of all, It's not made in China.

Last edited:

psychobrew

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 5, 2008
So it seems this grill is actually made in China and Broil King is hiding the information from consumers. Not a happy camper right now.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Psychobrew, have you already ordered it?

It could be somewhere in between. I think the pellet feed mechanism and all that's involved with that probably is imported from China. But BK uses thick steel for the grill itself. It may be more economical to use North American labor rather than importing something heavy and bulky stuff. As far as the total labor hours in the unit, the majority of it may be North American.

Few technological high-priced products are FULLY made in USA. E.g. modern cars are truly international. The reality is that most Toyotas are more "American" as far as labor content goes than most Chevy's.

psychobrew

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 5, 2008
Psychobrew, have you already ordered it?

It could be somewhere in between. I think the pellet feed mechanism and all that's involved with that probably is imported from China. But BK uses thick steel for the grill itself. It may be more economical to use North American labor rather than importing something heavy and bulky stuff. As far as the total labor hours in the unit, the majority of it may be North American.

Few technological high-priced products are FULLY made in USA. E.g. modern cars are truly international. The reality is that most Toyotas are more "American" as far as labor content goes than most Chevy's.
It came in on Monday, and it says made in China on the box. Live and learn. I'm mostly trying avoid products that are made in China.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
I'm sure you've noticed their web page has a prominent logo with USA and Canadian flags saying Made in North America no less than 3 times. I think you'd be justified in saying the Chinese origin was mis-represented, the product is not as described, and request a refund and return shipping.

psychobrew

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 5, 2008
I'm sure you've noticed their web page has a prominent logo with USA and Canadian flags saying Made in North America no less than 3 times. I think you'd be justified in saying the Chinese origin was mis-represented, the product is not as described, and request a refund and return shipping.
I ended up keeping it. Even Recteq is made in China now and didn't see any other options in the $1,000 range.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.