I'm looking to buy a UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pocketaces

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Green Bay, WI
I am really thinking of buying a BGE.  The winters here in WI make smoking very tough.  I've done a lot of reading here telling me that an UDS might do well all year for a fraction of the price. 

I looked at a few threads showing you guys building UDSs.  I really don't have the knowledge or skill to build one.

Anyone have one for sale or know of one for sale?

What is a fair price?  Anything special I should look for in an UDS?  New or used is fine with me. 

Thank you everyone.

Don't buy one unless you can get one for under $150. Trust me its not hard to build them at all. You just need a few basic tools. If I can build one then you can to. And yes the UDS will smoke right up there with a BGE. I have used both and like them both but the UDS is a better fit for me. I have used mine from -25degrees to+100 degrees and they work like a champ. In my personal opinion save yourself the money and build (or buy for cheap) a UDS. I had to buy every single piece for my UDS and I figure I have about $125 into it and you could go cheaper but I got some more spendy grate and what not. 

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Yea I would do as Ross told you to. All you need is a drill with a couple of hole saws and some misc. nuts and bolts and a couple of ball values and a minimum knowledge of building. 

Last edited:
I wouldn't even know where to get the barrel.  Nor the coal bin.

I found a place that sells them for 145 but the shipping is 75.  I'm actually considering it.  I wish someone on here sold them.

Thank you so much!  I searched craigslist over and over.  I do not know how I missed that!  I'm calling him this morning.  I can't believe that I'm thinking of trying this.  This person lives 10 minutes from my family who is coming over for a visit today!  That just might be a sign...

Thank you again! 

To echo the others, you can build it with minimal tools.  An adjustable wrench and a drill is about it.  You may have to spend $10 for a hole saw bit to go with the drill.  I built mine and the coal basket with zero welding.  When you're finished with it, you'll definitely ask yourself what you were waiting on! lol  Go for it!

To echo the others, you can build it with minimal tools.  An adjustable wrench and a drill is about it.  You may have to spend $10 for a hole saw bit to go with the drill.  I built mine and the coal basket with zero welding.  When you're finished with it, you'll definitely ask yourself what you were waiting on! lol  Go for it!
I agree. I can't believe I waited to build one. And I also didn't do any welding. I just used wire to wrap my expandable metal around the grate for my charcoal basket.

Finding a drum is the hardest part til you start asking around, don't be afraid to burn one out to make it santitary. Building one is so easy.

Ok, this is a new one.  I know someone in this group could help.  The barrels that ECTO1 found for me were used for cow udder soap.  Do you guys think I could use those?

Thank you all in advance for what I'm sure will be 1000 questions.  I promise to pay you all back with Qview or better yet bbq if you're from around here.

Scott

You'll have to cut the top off with a jigsaw or sawzall. Most likely, the inside will be unlined, so a good wash or two, or three with dish soap should do the trick. Basically fill the drum with water, dump a bottle of dish washing soap in it, let it sit for a bit, then scrub the sides & the bottom. Dump it out, give the barrel a good rinse, and then repeat. After that just take a bucket full of soapy dishwater and give the inside of tha barrel a good scrub, and then rinse well again. After that dry it and spray the whole inside with PAM or coat it with some vegetable oil. Give it a good smoke to season and you should be good to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky