I'm a rookie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

janders0707

Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Hi, my name is Jody and I live in Iowa.

I purchased our first smoker (Masterbuilt 30" electric) about a month ago.  My husband and I have zero smoking experience so I am very happy to be joining this group.

We did experiment with some chicken a couple of weeks ago and that turned out fantastic.  Was very impressed with the smoker.

We are going to smoke two Pork Butts this afternoon, together they weigh almost 20 lbs.  Starting them around 3pm, hoping to have them done by 11am tomorrow.  Really hoping I don't ruin $40 in pork!   

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Hi, my name is Jody and I live in Iowa.

I purchased our first smoker (Masterbuilt 30" electric) about a month ago.  My husband and I have zero smoking experience so I am very happy to be joining this group.

We did experiment with some chicken a couple of weeks ago and that turned out fantastic.  Was very impressed with the smoker.

We are going to smoke two Pork Butts this afternoon, together they weigh almost 20 lbs.  Starting them around 3pm, hoping to have them done by 11am tomorrow.  Really hoping I don't ruin $40 in pork!   

Welcome to smf!
Don't stress pork butts are very forgiving. Just cook it yo about 200 degrees internal or when the bone is about to pop out of the butt. You probably want to wrap your pork in foil at 165 degrees internal. If you put some apple juice ac vinegar in the foil it will probably get done a little faster. When its done let it rest for about 30 minutes to an hour then pull and serve.

Enjoy the smoke,
phatbac(Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky