Ideas for using dried peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I am making a Texas style brisket chili this weekend, for the Superbowl. The recipe I am following calls for an assortment of chili's, so I went to the market today to pick them up. I love spicy food, but don't have a lot of experience with dried peppers so I was hoping for some ideas on what I should do with the leftovers. I have Anchos, Pasillas, Guajillos, Arbols & Chipotles.

I was thinking of making a pepper sauce, but don't know for sure. I know one of our members recently posted what looked to be a good recipe, but any other input is more than welcome. Thanks!

If you're going through the trouble of toasting them and grinding them, I would definitely save the powder for future use. Homemade chili powder is leaps and bounds better than store bought. Store seperately, or mix together and make a taco seasoning.

You could store whole chilies in the freezer, pull out what you need and toast them before using. Here's one I did a few months ago with dried chilies:

Beef Birria Tacos

Reactions: 73saint
Rehydrating them and puree'ing them makes an assortment of wonderful sauces. I would @ chili, but come to think of it, i havnt seen him around lately.

Rehydrating them and puree'ing them makes an assortment of wonderful sauces. I would @ chili, but come to think of it, i havnt seen him around lately.
That’s funny because the recipe I’m using calls for exactly that. I may just use all of it for chili paste and save what I don’t use.

Reactions: fivetricks
I aint no help, really like chili magic and add tomatoes with chipotle peppers, love to use deer meat ground fine ,also I add red or yellow bell peppers diced fine

2 cans Texas style 1 can traditional, can puree it for some great hot dog chili

2 cans Texas style 1 can traditional, can puree it for some great hot dog chili
So mike, this chili magic you refer to, is this in cans like you mentioned above? I’m not familiar with it, but I like what your selling...

This is a hot sauce that turned out great.

Dry Chiles freeze very well. I buy bulk, one pound of each of the milder Chiles you mentioned, plus Cascabel, Mulato, New Mexican Red and NM Green Chile Flakes. I then pull as needed for the dish. A batch of Texas Red Chili uses a lot but they make a great Adobo Sauce for, Eggs and Omelettes, Enchiladas, Tamales, a whole host of Adobo based Stews, Soups ( Red Pozole ) and Taco Fillings. Then there is always Mole. Chiles are the Heart of Mexican Cuisine. There are Thousands of Recipes that use them...JJ

Carne guisada is good and easy to make. You can eat it on rice, tortillas, potatoes, nacho chips, pretty much however. You can go mild or spicy with it. I made it last time with anchos and jalapenos but next batch will have some chipotle in it.
eta I've only made it once and used this recipe. It was very mild (but good) so I'll kick up the heat next time.
https://www.gonnawantseconds.com/carne-guisada/

IMG_20190529_181148.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky