• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

IBBQ-4T vs ThermoPro TP25

pbrown86

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Looking for inputs. I need a new meat thermometer. Based on where I monitor the temperature bluetooth distance shouldn't be a problem, but wifi would work too. Mainly just want a product that will last (and is in the price point of the IBBQ-4T and TP25). Anyone have experience with both?

912smoker

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
I have the TP25 and it works great. Used it several times a week for a yr or so and no issues at all. Just with it had a "low temp" alarm setting.

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Yes, I have experience with both and either one would be a good choice. The TP-25 has the longest range and slightly better probes. The probes would be the weakest link and replacements for both are available from Amazon. Personally, I think the Inkbird is the better value but wouldn't expect it to last 10 years. The one I use the most is the TP-25 because it stays connected anywhere in the house. Hope this is helpful.

ammjr

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 15, 2007
I have the Inkbird and I would recommend it. The battery life is VERY good, using about 2-3% per hour so more than sufficient for a lot of cooks. I have plugged it in on overnights, though, just for peace of mind. Connects easily to wifi which I much prefer over bluetooth. The phone app is good too. It also comes with the stands so you can use a probe as a pit monitor. I have had 0 issues with the unit in the year I've owned it.

Displaced Texan

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 11, 2020
I have the Inkbird and I would recommend it. The battery life is VERY good, using about 2-3% per hour so more than sufficient for a lot of cooks. I have plugged it in on overnights, though, just for peace of mind. Connects easily to wifi which I much prefer over bluetooth. The phone app is good too. It also comes with the stands so you can use a probe as a pit monitor. I have had 0 issues with the unit in the year I've owned it.
Agree. I was amazed at the battery life. I think wifi is a better choice than bluetooth. The Inkbird probes are very accurate, as I'm sure the others are, but again the wifi is much better for me.

pbrown86

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Agree. I was amazed at the battery life. I think wifi is a better choice than bluetooth. The Inkbird probes are very accurate, as I'm sure the others are, but again the wifi is much better for me.
I have seen reports that the app for Inkbird has issues (graphing)? Have you seen this as well?

One other thing, does the silicon color piece go in the smoker? I thought I read it wasn't safe about a certain temp.

Last edited:

ammjr

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 15, 2007
I have seen reports that the app for Inkbird has issues (graphing)? Have you seen this as well?

One other thing, does the silicon color piece go in the smoker? I thought I read it wasn't safe about a certain temp.
I haven't really had any issues with the app at all. I had the graph not show data once but there's a refresh thing in the graph and as soon as I hit it it all appeared. The silicon piece you're referring to I assume you mean the one on the probe itself and yes it goes in the smoker. I've had it in there up around 420. I think it says the probe itself isn't good to keep at 500 or better for prolonged times. But that piece protects the connection on the probe to the lead wire.

Displaced Texan

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 11, 2020

Hmmm, graphing is above my pay grade lol. I don't use that function. The only issue I had, which turned out to be user error, was not turning off the 5 ghz function of my mesh wifi system since the app only uses 2.5 ghz.

Edit: do you mean the rubber covers on the probes?

pbrown86

Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yep I meant the ones on the probe. Pretty well sold on the Inkbird I think. Looking at moving my Mes30 to an inkbird Pid controller as well, just trying to figure out the mailbox mod thing. Have some concerns of the material for mailbox. I appreciate all the input!

Displaced Texan

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 11, 2020
Yep I meant the ones on the probe. Pretty well sold on the Inkbird I think. Looking at moving my Mes30 to an inkbird Pid controller as well, just trying to figure out the mailbox mod thing. Have some concerns of the material for mailbox. I appreciate all the input!
I was kind of stupid and left the tips on the end of the probes. Someone here kindly told me to remove them. They read more accurately now lol. I had to use pliers to carefully remove two of them that had melted on to the probes.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.