I want to make a homemade smoker, and i have these stainless steel. Any ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marciano999

Original poster
Oct 22, 2019
I found this around my house, stainless steel, please see pics attached. I want to know if i can make a smoker with these. I was thinking like a vertical smoker, but i don't know if is thick enough for example, and i would like some ideas please, and what else would i need. I have a gas bbq which i iam
smoking with pellets, but i want a real smoker. Here the two pieces i have. The big one is 72 inches x 48 inches for example.

: 20200604_135601.jpg 20200604_135557.jpg 20200604_135518.jpg 20200604_135408.jpg 20200604_135403.jpg

Some stainless steel is not certified for food grade usage. Do you happen to know what grade that steel is? Stainless steel in the 300 or 200 series is generally considered to be food grade. That metal gauge looks pretty light for holding heat.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: marciano999
Some stainless steel is not certified for food grade usage. Do you happen to know what grade that steel is? Stainless steel in the 300 or 200 series is generally considered to be food grade. That metal gauge looks pretty light for holding heat.

JC :emoji_cat:
I really don't know what grade it is. I was thinking if it cannot hold the heat, maybe putting double wall. What do you think?

How do i know what grade is it?

Reactions: jim r king
Hmmm. I see a tall (vertical) rectangular box, a hinged front door, with charcoal at the bottom and a vent at the top. All you need are some rectangular grates. Then size the box around the grates. If you think you have enough material (and the skills) to make it double-wall (for thermal insulation) then you could make it an electrical smoker if you'd prefer.
Can you weld? Even without skills, if you can get your hands on a little electrical discharge spot welder you can probably make yourself proud.

Reactions: marciano999
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky