I really REALLY hope I like this kabanosy because...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
I "accidentally" just mixed up about 4.5lbs of kabanosy INSTEAD of the 2lbs I was GOING to make!

Boned a butt (that just sounds...wrong!), ground it up, measured out my spices/cure/water, and had PLANNED on pulling 1000g for the kabanosy and portioning the remaining for the freezer, but nooooo...I walked straight into my kitchen, pulled the ENTIRE bowl of ground pork and proceeded to dump spices/cure for 1000g of meat into 2083g of meat.

So I did the math and added the remaining stuff that was needed.

Like I said, I sure do hope I like this sausage! :emoji_grimacing:

It's one of the best formulas in my opinion . I do it as sticks and Summer sausage .
Do half and see what you think . Easy enough to add spice to the base , and the other half will hang out a few days without issue .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Can't guarantee you'll love it but Rich, chopsaw chopsaw showed me the recipe and my wife and I loved it! I'm guessing it's gonna be "bad to the bone!"
It definitely didn't last long.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
kabs1.jpg

This was my first time using collagen casings AND casings this small.

Wasn't sure about linking collagen, so I said screw it and used twine, but by the time I finished I realized this stuff is tougher than I thought it would be (I was actually surprised...for some reason, I thought they were sort of delicate).

Anyway, I fried up the bit left in the stuffer, about a cup-full (read as "I was done stuffing!"). It was good, but I don't think I'm a fan of the 3/8" grind...I'll reserve final judgement for after it's smoked.

That's a lot of sausage (for me, anyway!).

Looks good! Collagen casings can be twisted, but it is best to tie your links off with it. It's tough, but not as flexible as natural.

I have those CRS moments, hell they are pretty regular.

Nice looking sticks. Did you get your smoker hanging rack built?

It is DE boning a butt!

Gift to friends the first time to set the hook.
Expect compensation for repeats.

Well, it's been stuffed into 19mm collagen...and my right arm is EXHAUSTED!

Will post pics later this evening...I need to rest. :emoji_older_woman:
Don't recall your stuffer, but I have an old cast iron unit from my FIL.
I have to keep the gears and jackshafts heavily lubricated or it gives my arm a work out.

• Haha
Reactions: SherryT
Looks like some good sticks coming up

I hope so...I finally saw a vid on YT where a guy showed you "can" turn the flame a LOT lower on a propane smoker (it works on mine, anyway) so I ran a couple of tests and it seems to work with my smoker.

I also have a Big Chief so that might be an option and then finish in SV...still trying to decide which way to go.

I prefer the "smoke for color" and SV finish. It has served me well so far. On the other side of that, I have had fat out going all the way on the smoker even though the IT of the sausages never got above 151°.

I have those CRS moments, hell they are pretty regular.

Nice looking sticks. Did you get your smoker hanging rack built?

It is DE boning a butt!

Gift to friends the first time to set the hook.
Expect compensation for repeats.

Don't recall your stuffer, but I have an old cast iron unit from my FIL.
I have to keep the gears and jackshafts heavily lubricated or it gives my arm a work out.

DE-boning...DE-boning...DE-boning (TOLD ya it sounded wrong!)

I've decided to go with aluminum angle (easy to cut/drill) on each wall near the top and just rest the dowels on that (after sanding a plat place on the ends of the dowels...shouldn't take but a couple of minutes on the belt sander).

I have the Game Winner 5lb stuffer from Academy...it seems to be a decent stuffer (for my needs, anyway). I think I needed to add a bit more water to the mix as I was using a small SS tube (about 12mm).

Reactions: tallbm
I prefer the "smoke for color" and SV finish. It has served me well so far. On the other side of that, I have had fat out going all the way on the smoker even though the IT of the sausages never got above 151°.

About how long would you suggest...a couple of hours in the smoker?

I run 3 or 4 hours at the lowest setting (160°) if I even start the pellet grill up. Last batch of jalapeno cheddar I did, I just burnt a smoke tube full of pecan/cherry dust on the bottom rack with the sausages on the top rack for about 4 or 5 hours. These were delicious, but quite smoky! Almost too much so. If you like the smoke right up front and center, like right up in your face, they were like that. I enjoyed every last one of them, but if I do it that way again, I will cut the smoke time back a little.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
The last batch of kielbasa I did is posted on here somewhere. I finished them completely on the pellet grill mainly because I linked them too long to fit in any vessel I had for SV. Planned on using my big cooler for the task, but the walls are too thick to clamp my SV circulator onto. They came out fine, no fat out or anything

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky