I need some quick dinner smoke suggestions for tonight!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hdsmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Ohio
I was planning on just grilling a couple steaks quick for dinner tonight with my gf, and then just taking it easy.  Maybe make a fire and enjoy the weather.  The weather in OH this week has been GREAT!  But, i havent smoked in a month, and im really getting restless seeing my smoker sitting there covered up for this long!  But, i work till 3:30 so i will have to run to the store and then wont have the smoker ready until at least 4:30-5.  I need something that can be ready to eat in about 3 hours.  What are some ideas?  I might throw on a fatty and some ABTs just because i love them, but i need a main dish.  Suggestions please!! 

Some quickies I like to do are hamburgers/hot dogs and/or chicken parts (breasts, legs, wings, thighs, or quarters).  Done in less than 2 hours.

The weather's been awesome here, too -- I wish it would stay this way all year!

EDIT: also, pork chops

Last edited:
I love a fatty as a main dish... and I've seen folks do a pizza fatty, then after its done wrapping it in pizza dough and tossing it back on, and BAM... Calazone fatty time.  You could find it if you did a search.

hmmm, other than that, chicken is always a winner for a quick smoke in my book.  Also, in that category, i've seen folks stuff a boneless turkey breast with different things and woowee did it look good! 

Lastly, one of the best "short smokes" i've done, i'm afraid to admit, was one of those small pre-marinated pork loins at the grocery store.  I think I got hickory pepper or something. 

Good luck man!  Treat yourself with a ice cold sixer for being such a casanova!

Oh, one thing I did the other day was a fiesta stuffed bell pep. Took a bell pepper and cut off the top and seeded/cored it (kept the top for the smoker) and stuffed it with a mix of cheeses, cooked sausage ( i used brat out of the casing browned in a skillet) and corn, stuffed it in the pepper then put the top back on and smoked it for an hour... it was AWESOME.

Last edited:
Meat loaf , and mac n cheese on the smoker!!!

Thanks guys...i just had a nice long reply and hit submit and it vanished...so i will cut it down.  Drumsticks sound good and there are some good looking recipes on here for them...as does the marinated tenderloin...i have grilled a couple and they are nothing to be embarrassed about!  They are good!  I will just have to see what strikes me when i get to the store. 

Never done meatloaf and want to BUT i dont want to deal with much prep...rather just something i can throw on tonight.  The fatty (if i do one) and ABT's will take long enough. 

The weather is perfect today and the summer is almost over and i cant even remember half of it!  Seems like im gone every weekend for something, and i have a bachelor party tomorrow night.  So i gotta keep the lady happy tonight!  Shes bringing a bottle of wine so i will definately be picking up a 6 (12?) pack of a nice brew to enjoy the evening!  Perfect night to be sitting around a fire. 

Have a nice weekend everyone! 

Chicken, pork tenderloin, sausage with peppers and onions all require minimal prep and are done in under 3, tenderloin probably in 2 or less depending on cook temp.

you can do steaks in the smoker for a hour or 2 and a quick sear on the grill to finish

Well, just thought i would give a quick update.  Didnt end up smoking too much, but did at least fire her up and did a fatty and a couple ABT's.  The sweet corn looked especially good when i walked into the store, so i had to grab some, and at $2/doz i couldnt pass it up.  As good as it looked it still didnt do it justice.  Best sweet corn i have had all season.  It was so good i didnt even use butter or anything.  Just ate it plain.  gave it a quick soak when i got home.  got the smoker fired up, then got the camp fire going.  Food into the smoker and then once i had some good coals in the fire i raked some off to the side and threw the corn in.  What a great easy meal.  Fatty was simple with frozen hash browns and home grown green peppers with some cheese (cheddar on her half and Hot pepper on mine) 

Evening was PERFECT.  I was comfortable in pants and a T shirt, but she needed a sweatshirt.  Man i cant wait till fall.  Now we have the Dog Days this week of mid 90's to get through but cooling to 80 Friday and then mid 70's on Sat for the long weekend.  Hopefully thats the end of the heat...its been a brutal summer. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky