• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I need help with a good/affordable pepper grinder

alan123

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2015
I hope this is in the right place on the board.....

I'm ready to toss my third pepper grinder, they work great for a few weeks and then I hardly get anything from them. I love the taste of fresh ground pepper but seems sooner or later I have to reach for the pepper shaker. As I said, the pepper grinder works great for a few weeks and then I can hardly get any pepper from it. I have tried cleaning them and dismantling them as much as I can and clean them, but I'm ready to toss my third one. Any help on a good one that doesn't break the bank or any tips that I'm missing on cleaning or adjusting them. Is there a good affordable one out there?

Thanks,
Alan

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I'm in the same boat. I like it ground real coarse & haven't been able to find a grinder that will do that consistently.

So I ended up just buying coarse ground pepper form the SausageMaker.

Al

lemans

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 29, 2013
I bought a knurp on Amazon for like $12 to grind my
Spices.. not the best design but it is dependable and does a nice job.. I have had it for three years

nunantal

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 30, 2014
Try one of these... OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill.  12 bucks on Amazon.  I'm on my second one.  The first lasted over 5 years.  Read the reviews.  I think you'll like it.

Wayne

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
I have 3 of these and the one for pepper gets used a LOT! Pricey at first glance, but mine is a few years old now and still grinding.

amazon" style="max-width:120px">

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
I got one of these battery operated ones about 5 years ago as a gift. I absolutely LOVE it! amazon" style="max-width:120px">
One handed use. Just turn it upside down and it starts to grind pepper out. It has an internal gravity switch.

Pepper doesn't spill out of the bottom like most all of them do

Batteries last a long time (I use rechargeables)

Doesn't clog or have to be cleaned out. I never have.

Excellent fine- to -coarse adjustment

The only CON I would have to say is I wish it could hold more peppercorns before having to reload. But that's ok, because it really is fast and easy to reload fresh peppercorns.

EDIT:

Correction… This one in the link above is a knock off. The one I have is made by Trudeau.

http://www.classickitchensupplies.com/trudeau-elite-graviti-pepper-mill/

This looks to be the latest model of the same unit: amazon" style="max-width:120px">

Last edited:

bikerchef

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 20, 2015
Many years go my wife bought me an Atlas brass pepper mill.

It the real deal. Works great. I can fine grind or coarse grind. But it's spendy.

Another good choice is at a good price is a Peugeot Pepper Mill.

They are French. I've given them as gifts but I haven't used one.

They are high quality.

Unit 1 Chanhassen, MN 55317

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011
Unicorn Magnum - comes in two sizes and you can also get it in white with ceramic grinder for salts.  Runs $36 for the standard size on Amazon.  It is probably the best out there and is consistently a #1 rated grinder at America's Test Kitchen & Cook's Illustrated.  I have been using the standard sized one for 2 years now.  I get my peppercorns at Savory Spice locally.

Last edited:

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Unicorn Magnum - comes in two sizes and you can also get it in white with ceramic grinder for salts.  Runs $36 for the standard size on Amazon.  It is probably the best out there and is consistently a #1 rated grinder at America's Test Kitchen & Cook's Illustrated.  I have been using the standard sized one for 2 years now.  I get my peppercorns at Savory Spice locally.

Any pepper grinder that you can get a holster for gets my vote!!!!

A big thumbs up to ceramic salt grinders. It's the only way to go with salt.

alan123

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2015
Thank you very much for all the input and help, lots to look at and sounds like things will be better...... as far as fresh ground pepper.

Thanks again,
Alan

alan123

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 22, 2015
Try one of these... OXO Good Grips Lewis Pepper Mill.  12 bucks on Amazon.  I'm on my second one.  The first lasted over 5 years.  Read the reviews.  I think you'll like it.

Wayne
Thanks again for the help everyone.

Wayne, thanks for pointing me in this direction, just ordered one off Amazon. I like the design and particularly the adjustable grind from coarse to fine. But you're correct it was an easy choice after the reviews, over 1900 reviews and 73% five stars, 90% four stars are better. Although I will admit I didn't try to read 1900 reviews, lol

Thanks again to all,
Alan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.