I need a sanity check here... Reconstituting my failed pork jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Most know that I LOVE to experiment with all things BBQ, sausage, and jerky. Well, since my last batch of pork jerky was a fail, due to too much salt, I decided to try something out. Well, actually, my bride suggested it and I tried it.

For those that are wondering what I'm talking about, look at this post, and then continue reading.... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/237916/good-lesson-for-all-new-folks-pork-jerky-fail

While I was in the kitchen, complaining about my brackish jerky, my bride came hobbling in with her walker and asked me what the problem was. I told her that I had used almost 4x the needed salt and this stuff was BAD!

She then asked me why I couldn't soak it in water like I do bacon, Canadian bacon, etc. to reduce the salinity. I started to say that it was too late, but then changed my mind. It works for other stuff, why not this....

I took 2 large pieces of the jerky, dropped them into a bowl, filled it with water, and let it sit for an hour. After the first hour, I changed the water and let it sit for one more.

After the 2 hour soak, I had 2 pieces of pork that were mostly reconstituted. I took those 2 pieces, patted them dry, and placed them into the already running dehydrator. Now, after several hours, I took out a piece of the jerky, and it tastes pretty darn good! Salt is about right, flavor is there, and the smoke flavor is decent. I definitely lost smoke flavor during the soak.

So, my question is this... Does anyone see an issue with me soaking this batch of jerky in water for a couple of hours and then patting dry and placing it into the dehydrator to dry out once more?

From my end, I see no issues since my water is RO, i used a cure, and it's already "cooked"...

Chef Jimmy, DaveOmak, others? Please chime in.... I'm ready to drown 3# of dehydrated salty pork for a couple of hours....

I am not as experienced as others but I don't see a problem. Its cured and cooked already.

If its already cured and cooked then your good

What is going on down there in Texas?!

I have nothing of value to add, I just hope this works out for you and is safe!

If the consensus is that it's not safe, I'll toss it!

I'm really thinking that this may work, I just want a couple of other folks to chime in and make sure I'm not thinking crazy....

If the consensus is that it's not safe, I'll toss it!

I'm really thinking that this may work, I just want a couple of other folks to chime in and make sure I'm not thinking crazy....
What's crazy is how good that water will taste when you're done
pot.gif

Hey CB

I'm definitely no expert on food safety, so I won't comment on that. I'll leave that subject to the pros. I'm afraid I fall into the "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" category.

However..........if the concensus is favourable, you might then be able to go one step farther. You said you lost a fair bit of smoke flavor when you soaked the meat. So, why not cold smoke the jerky? Not real sure if that would work or not, but what do you have to lose?

Gary

Your "reconstitute" and "re dry" sounds good to me.... No lingering in a danger zone... all the bacteria has been dealt with... Dehydrator is probably above 145 deg. F.... Now you have to figure out why the extra salt was added in the first place... That will save a few steps next batch... LOL...

Dave

Since its sites I don't see an issue. Add a potato cut in half to your Water to remove the slat faster. Simce you have to dehydrate again why not put it in the smoker to add more smoke flavor. I don't use a dehydrator when making jerky. I do the whole process in the smoker.

Your "reconstitute" and "re dry" sounds good to me.... No lingering in a danger zone... all the bacteria has been dealt with... Dehydrator is probably above 145 deg. F.... Now you have to figure out why the extra salt was added in the first place... That will save a few steps next batch... LOL...

Dave

Dave, I figured out what happened as soon as I tasted it. I'm my OP, there's a link to the write up I did about it. I basically didn't practice what I preach.

Since its sites I don't see an issue. Add a potato cut in half to your Water to remove the slat faster. Simce you have to dehydrate again why not put it in the smoker to add more smoke flavor. I don't use a dehydrator when making jerky. I do the whole process in the smoker.

I go about 50/50 on making jerky. Some in the smoker, others in the dehydrator. I prefer the smoker, but time constraints sometimes get in my way. I may put this in the smoker after I do some other stuff today in the pit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky